Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Youth Development
Postal code: 80205
Country: United States
Educate! prepares youth in Africa with the skills to succeed in today’s economy. We are a non-profit social enterprise with 150 staff and 300 volunteer youth mentors.
We tackle youth unemployment by partnering with schools and governments to reform what schools teach and how they teach it so that students in Africa have the skills to attain further education, overcome gender inequities, start businesses, get jobs and drive development in their communities. Our model is delivered through practically-trained teachers and youth mentors. Educate!’s goal is to make this practical, skills-based model part of national education systems.
Check out our COVID response page on our website to see how we’ve adapted to respond to school closures in East Africa in 2020.
In 2019, we partnered with the government to pilot in 60+ schools in Kenya, worked in 275+ secondary schools in Rwanda, and 800+ schools in Uganda (25% of the country), reaching over 46,000 students intensively and 470,000 more broadly. Two rigorous external evaluations, including a randomized controlled trial, found that towards the end of secondary school, our program participants earn nearly DOUBLE the income of their peers. A follow-up RCT found that four years later, our graduates demonstrate large and durable shifts in skills, coupled with significant improvements in education and gender equity-related outcomes. Girls achieve even greater results. Our graduates change their lives and their communities, such as Daniel who leveraged both his medical education and the transferable and business skills gained through Educate! to open a rural health clinic in his community employing two people and conducting about 350 checkups per month.
We have been backed by top foundations such as MasterCard, Big Bang Philanthropy, Mulago, Echoing Green, Ashoka, and Global Innovation Fund. Educate! won a 2018 Klaus J. Jacobs Prize (and was featured in a video), a 2015 WISE Award, and was highlighted by Bill Gates, in the World Bank’s S4YE's Impact Portfolio, an Al Jazeera documentary, Forbes 30 under 30, and The Brookings Institution as one of 14 case studies in their global scaling education learning initiative. Educate! was also selected by the UN’s Generation Unlimited as 1 of 20 innovative youth solutions.
Educate!'s long-term vision is to design solutions that measurably impact millions of youth across Africa each year.
The Controller will lead all day-to-day US accounting operations and have responsibility for accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, revenue accounting, and payroll accounting. The Controller will ensure that Educate! has the systems and procedures in place to comply with best practice internal control standards, fulfill all US nonprofit regulations, and conduct clean efficient audits. The Controller will work closely with East Africa-based accounting teams to ensure seamless and accurate financial reporting and with the US-based revenue team to ensure accurate revenue recognition and reporting.
In addition, she or he will partner with the CFO, senior leadership, and information technology (IT) service providers, when necessary, to enhance and better integrate finance, HR, and IT functions, as well as serving as the main contact for our banking, audit and software service providers.Accounting Excellence
Accounting Systems and Controls Oversight and Development
- Oversee the consolidation (five countries at the moment), timeliness and accuracy of all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Coordinate with East African accounting teams to ensure timely consolidated monthly closes
- Coordinate all pre, during, and post-audit activity to achieve clean, timely external global audits
Global Financial Analysis and Reporting
- Manage and continuously propose improvements on the integrity of controls, processes, and data in the accounting software environment, and support the CFO in training and use-maximization for all accounting teams
- Oversee and continuously improve communication and reconciliation between Accounting and Revenue Teams, ensuring that Accounts Receivable are reconciled and accurate, funder reports are accurate and timely
- Support the CFO in maintaining internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, expenditures, and assets.
- Be the contact point for our banking, audit, and software service providers
US Office Accounting
- Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; monitor progress and changes and partner with the CFO
- Oversee efficient and accurate labeling of restricted and unrestricted net assets
- Oversee an accurate Indirect Cost allocation process
- Support the CFO in preparing reports and presentations for the board’s finance committee
- Track the performance of invested assets in keeping with policies and investment guidelines.
- Lead the US Office’s monthly and annual budgeting and planning process
- Manage close and provide monthly US Office accounting reports to the US Country Director
- Ensure full compliance with all US nonprofit statutory reporting and filing requirements
- Develop and implement US Office Internal Controls Handbook
We’re looking for a driven and collaborative CPA with at least some public accounting experience and experience in an accounting or finance role at a US nonprofit. We’re also looking for:
- Experience accounting for and reporting on grant funding and compliance for a US nonprofit with multiple types of funders and revenue streams
- Keen analytic and problem-solving skills allowing for strategic data interpretation that goes beyond simple reporting
- Personal qualities of integrity, honesty, and credibility
- An interest in accounting and reporting software. Experience with the roll-out of/migration to new software is a plus.
- Someone organized and collaborative, who will enjoy and excel at coordinating with a remote revenue team in the USA and an accounting team in East Africa to reconcile, meet deadlines, and align on tools and systems.
- Experience working in an organization with multiple locations. Multi-country experience is a plus but not required.
- A process-oriented person who can build and operationalize accounting and reporting systems and processes
- A good fit with our Five Cultural Tenets (see “What is Educate! About?” Below; learn more by looking at Educate!’s culture deck here.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert