Chief Financial and Operating Officer
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Education
City: San Francisco
Postal code: 00000
Country: United States
Reading Partners launched in 2001 with the mission to expand opportunities for children in underserved communities by fostering a lifelong love of reading, developing strong literacy skills, and building the confidence and self-esteem critical to empowerment and community development. Reading Partners provides children with robust one-on-one reading support through a structured, research-based curriculum that engages students and provides basic building blocks to supplement their academic growth. On average, Reading Partners students gain 1.6 months of reading skills for every month in the program.
Working in partnership with teachers, schools, and community volunteers, Reading Partners has grown from serving 100 students in 2003 in northern California with a budget of $180,000 to serving over 7,000 students in 7 states and the District of Columbia with a budget of over $16M. As one of only a handful of nonprofits to receive two highly competitive federal Social Innovation Fund grants, Reading Partners has plans for continued growth into other regions.
Reading Partners’ approach includes:
Focusing on children from low-income communities.
Giving one-on-one instruction at the student’s reading level.
Recruiting and training community volunteers to work with children.
Partnering with high-need elementary schools to offer an effective program on campus.
Providing a way for volunteers to give a small amount of their time to make a huge difference in a child’s life.
For more information about Reading Partners, please visit http://www.readingpartners.org.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Reading Partners is changing the education landscape. The organization is a leader in working to solve the literacy crisis in our country by leveraging community volunteers in under-resourced schools. Reading Partners' diverse and expansive volunteer base provides one-on-one tutoring to students twice weekly, and its program is proven to help children master the reading fundamentals they need to unlock their potential as successful, happy, and confident readers in school and in life.
Working in partnership with teachers, schools, and community volunteers, Reading Partners has grown from serving students in one school to engaging thousands of volunteers in regions across the country to provide one-on-one support to thousands of students every year. In fact, Reading Partners nearly quadrupled the number of students served reaching more than 200 schools in 12 distinct regions, across nine states and Washington, DC. Over the past 20 years, Reading Partners has partnered with more than 400 schools in nearly 80 districts delivering more than 2 million tutoring sessions to nearly 60,000 students. In addition, Reading Partners recently incorporated Reading Partners Connects, which will allow Reading Partners to continue to serve students one-on-one in a safe online environment using Reading Partner evidence-based curriculum. Learn more here.
Reading Partners' people are its heartbeat and greatest resource; they are all passionately rallied around the mission to help children become lifelong learners by empowering communities to provide individualized instruction that works. For more information about Reading Partners, their impact, and their response to COVID-19, please visit www.readingpartners.org and watch this video.
ABOUT THE POSITION
As a key member of Reading Partners' leadership team, the Chief Financial & Operating Officer (CFOO) will report directly to the CEO and play a critical role in the overall strategic management of the organization. The CFOO will set the financial strategy for Reading Partners' $30M operating budget while also continuing to build and coach the finance and accounting teams to design and deliver the financial processes/systems needed to support Reading Partners' ongoing growth and evolution. Additionally, the CFOO will manage the teams responsible for leading Reading Partners' IT and HR operations while also overseeing all legal and facility-related matters, overseeing an overall team of 10 employees. As Reading Partners embarks upon their next phase of growth and development, the CFOO will serve as a true strategic partner to organizational leaders and the national Board of Directors, providing strong and accurate financial and operational guidance. This is an ideal opportunity for a proven leader to apply their finance and operations expertise towards Reading Partners' mission.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Act as a thought partner to the CEO and work closely with other members of the executive team to craft an overall organizational strategy and goals, with specific ownership of financial objectives
- Serve as a liaison to the national board of directors and as the primary liaison to the Finance and Audit committee; serve as a key member of the Strategic Planning committee
- Engage the finance committee of the board of directors to develop short-, medium-, and long-term financial plans and projections
- Lead, manage, and develop a cross-functional team consisting of 3-4 direct reports and 10 total team members; working across all infrastructure areas, including finance, IT, HR operations, facilities, and legal
- Partner with regional leadership and staff, and other departments across the national team, to foster a customer-centric, collaborative work culture, centered in a commitment to racial justice
- Routinely represent the organization to financial and operational partners, including financial institutions, investors, foundation, auditors, lawyers, partners, public officials and board members
- Oversee cash, investment, and asset management as well as financing strategies and activities and banking relationships
- Develop and utilize forward-looking, predictive models and activity-based financial analyses to provide insight into the organization's business plans
- Oversee internal/external reporting, including ensuring compliance with GAAP and all applicable local, state, and federal laws
- Continue to optimize tools and systems to provide critical financial and operational information to the executive team, departmental managers, and the Audit and Finance Committees of the Board
- Monitor annual organizational budgets and ensure management of budget
- Ensure timely and accurate financial reporting for federal and state funders, foundations, and Board of Directors
- Coordinate audits, ensure legal and regulatory compliance, and oversee proper filing of tax returns
- Oversee and support the creation of all regional budgets in collaboration with each Executive Director and other regional staff; ensure all systems and accounts roll up into national in a timely and accurate fashion
- Mentor and lead the finance team, with with an eye towards meeting organizational goals and developing the team as professionals
- Manage all HR operations including HR compliance, payroll, benefits administration, and new hire administration
- Partner with the Director of Technology to implement key IT initiatives to ensure Reading Partners continues to provide best-in-class IT infrastructure to support its mission
- Partner with the Chief Talent & Equity Officer to ensure best-in-class human resource practices and serve as a thought partner and approver on employment policies and practices, benefits, and regulatory compliance
- Manage relationships with retained and pro bono legal counsel as necessary
- Manage Reading Partners' facilities, as appropriate, supporting staff across twelve regions to secure and occupy office space in the communities in which Reading Partners operates
- Manage and lead the HR Operations and IT teams, with an eye towards meeting organizational goals and developing the team as professionals
Strong preference for the Bay Area or the NYC metropolitan area
- At least 5 years of senior financial leadership experience, preferably within large national organizations with a regional structure; nonprofit experience a plus
- Proven track record of supporting a mature organization experiencing change
- Extensive experience working with and/or developing complex accounting systems with multiple funders, multiple cost centers, and complex allocation models
- Extensive experience overseeing financial operations including budget development and scenario planning
- Experience leading high-performing operational functions such as HR operations, IT, legal, and/or facilities
- Demonstrated success building relationships with and engaging high-level board members, donors, school district staff and/or community leaders
- Experience building different business models and relying on analysis to inform strategic decisions
- Demonstrated ability to translate big picture strategy into workable finance systems for day-to-day operations
- Demonstrated ability to build effective, high performance teams within a high-growth environment
- Engaging professional with not only strong management skills, but with top-notch communication and organizational skills
- Ability to partner effectively with people of diverse backgrounds
- Deep commitment to the mission and vision of Reading Partners; deep commitment to race, equity, diversity, and inclusion (REDI)
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience required; master's degree in business or related field preferred
- Reading Partners offers the full package – great benefits, a great place to work and the opportunity to have a glowing and growing career.
- A competitive salary commensurate with experience
- A comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, flex spending accounts, generous paid time off, commuter benefits, an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), and currently a 403(b) match option
- An exciting and dynamic culture, including a commitment to investing in and supporting people to grow their careers
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS, PLEASE APPLY: https://www.on-ramps.com/jobs/1995
Reading Partners respects and honors the diversity in its workforce and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
On-Ramps is deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe social change happens when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and identities come together with common purpose. On-Ramps is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.
Posted By: On-Ramps
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert