Director of Research and Evaluation
Student Leadership Network
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Function: Research and Development
Primary domain: Education
City: New York
Postal code: 10001
State: New York
Country: United States
$10M - $20M
Student Leadership Network (SL Network) supports three life-changing programs that empower students to disrupt the cycle of poverty through education: The Young Women’s Leadership Schools (TYWLS), a network of high-performing all- girls public secondary schools; CollegeBound Initiative (CBI), a school-based college access program for young women and men; and the Young Women’s Leadership Network (YWLN), a nationwide network of single-sex affiliate and partner schools. SL Network programs promote a college-going culture in schools and make the dream of college a reality for students from underserved communities.
SL Network is seeking a full-time Director of Research and Evaluation, whose primary focus is to strengthen data driven decision-making by growing SL Network's data analysis and reporting capabilities (i.e. data collection, accuracy, storage, analysis, reporting, and usage). This position will lead SL Network’s research efforts and support leaders throughout the organization to understand and communicate our impact to key internal and external stakeholders. The Director will be responsible for the design and execution of SL Network’s research agenda and will work closely with other teams to provide data and reports that allow for continuous improvement in order to best serve our student population. This position will also oversee and strategically evolve the organization’s use of Salesforce across departments; directing data governance, data architecture, data quality initiatives, as well as measurement and evaluation. The Director will be supported by at least one staff member and will report to SL Network’s Executive Vice President/Chief Innovation Officer (EVP/CIO).
Internal Data, Evaluation, and Reporting
- Collaborate across program departments and contribute to the development, implementation and execution of data driven strategic initiatives.
- Synthesize, analyze, and define key performance metrics across each program department to measure the efficacy and impact of our work.
- Use qualitative and quantitative research methods to identify organizational challenges and propose solutions to program delivery staff and other organizational leaders.
- Build new capability for the organization using predictive modeling and analytics.
- Direct annual research initiatives and prioritize resources to ensure completion of projects and ad hoc requests.
- Prepare, or supervise the preparation of, research reports, summaries, presentations, and other materials that summarize findings for internal and external audiences.
- Participate in learning communities (both virtual and in-person) of peer organization members engaged in data and evaluation work. Attend conferences, events, and training opportunities.
- Help set annual vision, direction, and goals for the various program teams.
- Support the EVP/CIO in assessing program departments’ progress toward goals on a quarterly basis, identifying what is driving and impeding progress, developing solutions to address gaps, and adjusting course as necessary.
- Lead a wide range of cross-functional projects, including as-needed support for team leaders (e.g. developing power users in Salesforce, managing data hygiene, etc.).
- Analyze complex data sets and generate reports for the EVP/CIO and team leadership.
- Liaise with a range of national affiliates, partner principals, program partners, and college partners on behalf of each program department.
- Identify, recommend, and manage the implementation of business solutions for the organization and/or various departments (e.g. Salesforce, website features, Tableau, SharePoint, learning management and performance management tools).
- Manage at least one staff member responsible for data management, systems administration (e.g. Salesforce, Google Suite, etc.), evaluation, reporting, and IT duties.
- Meet regularly with direct report(s) one-on-one to assess progress toward individual performance goals and department goals. Conduct formal annual performance reviews and provide informal ongoing feedback to support their growth and development.
- Maintain a supportive, inclusive, positive work environment and ensure direct reports feel connected to the mission.
External Data, Research, and Evaluation
- Manage relationships with any third-party evaluation teams, leading the oversight and coordination of SL Network’s surveys, evaluations, and/or benchmarking projects.
- Collaborate with the Development team in writing and preparing proposals to fund research, evaluations, and/or special projects.
- Master’s degree in a related field; PhD preferred in social sciences, behavioral economics, data science, applied mathematics, or statistics.
- 7+ years of experience managing data. Minimum of 2 years of supervisory experience.
- Experience with applied research to improve programming for high schools, college counseling program, alumni engagement and/or community-based organizations a plus.
- Experience in Salesforce or a similar CRM platform.
- Strong understanding of quantitative and qualitative data collection methodologies – such as probability-based complex sample design, surveys, focus groups, semi-structured interviews, and participant observation techniques – and a demonstrated ability to deploy these methods in applied settings.
- Demonstrated analytical skills, including knowledge of, and proficiency with, quantitative analytical concepts such as statistical methods, predictive analytics, and database structures.
- Demonstrated ability to clearly and effectively present ideas and complex research insights, using a variety of mediums (including written reports, presentations, data visualizations, and proposals) to audiences with diverse knowledge and areas of expertise.
- Experience designing and building dynamic reports and dashboards using reporting software.
- Demonstrated commitment to SL Network’s mission, vision, and core values.
- Previous evaluation experience in a non-profit setting and/or knowledge of the fields of predictive analytics or behavioral economics.
Compensation: Competitive/commensurate with experience. FLSA Status: Non-Exempt. Student Leadership Network is an equal opportunity employer.
Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, and 401K matching
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Application instructions: https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/Details/422163/Student-Leadership-Network-Inc/Director-of-Research-and-Evaluation
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert