Data Analytics Manager
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Function: Knowledge Management/Learning
Primary domain: Education
Postal code: 94612
Country: United States
Our mission is to build a strong, diverse and socially conscious tech workforce by leveling the playing field through academic learning and experiential engagement for high school and college students.
SMASH empowers dedicated students of color with an intensive science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) education, culturally-relevant coursework and access to resources and social capital that allow them to be successful in college and in their careers.
Our Vision is a STEM ecosystem where every student, regardless of the zip code they grew up in, has the opportunity to participate in and thrive in the global economy. As a result, our communities and workplaces would benefit from well-prepared, competitive leaders representing broad perspectives and sectors of society.
About Us and Our Philosophy:
The Level Playing Field Institute is now SMASH! SMASH Academy, a program that US News and World Report called “Perhaps the most ambitious program to encourage African American and Latino students in STEM fields” is heading into its 18th summer next year. SMASH is an organization committed to eliminating the barriers faced by underrepresented people of color in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) and fostering their untapped talent for the advancement of our nation.
Founded in 2001, SMASH is an Oakland-based nonprofit organization that operates the Summer Math and Science Honors Academy (SMASH), a year-round STEM-intensive academic and residential program that serves underrepresented high school students. In tandem, SMASH conducts research examining inequity in access and opportunity across K-12, higher education, and workplace contexts in order to improve the outcomes for underrepresented students in STEM fields.
SMASH Academy is a five week, three-year Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) residential academic acceleration program for motivated, high school students from underrepresented populations (African-American, Latinx/Hispanic, Southeast Asian and/or Pacific Islander, and Native American), who have demonstrated an aptitude for science and math.
Upon promotion from SMASH Academy, scholars begin their senior year of high school and officially become a part of the SMASH Alumni Program. The alumni program places a strategic emphasis on college access and success, internship preparation, peer networking and STEM professional mentorship.
This is a pivotal time for SMASH as we begin building on the success of our education programs. We are embarking on an aggressive expansion strategy to achieve national impact. Working at SMASH is about fast growth, personal commitment and the tenacity to challenge the status quo. This is not for the faint of heart. But if you think you have what it takes to dare to change the face of STEM, join us.
Reporting to the Program Operations Director, the Data Analytics Manager (DAM) will manage the processes responsible for accurate data collection, management, processing, modeling and analysis. The ideal candidate has a knack for seeing solutions in sprawling data sets and the business mindset to convert insights into strategic opportunities for our programs. The Data Analytics Manager will work closely with leaders across Curriculum + Training, Alumni, and Regional Teams to meet annual goals and activities by supporting and implementing high-quality, data-driven decisions. The DAM will use advanced data modeling and analytical techniques to interpret key findings from program data and leverage these insights into initiatives that will support scholar and program outcomes.
The Kapor Center and SMASH are headquartered in Oakland, CA. For this role, we are open to the Data Analytics Manager being remote - ideally based in one of the states in which we’re based/have an office or SMASH site. These include: California, Michigan, Massachusetts, Georgia, Illinois, Pennsylvania, DC/Maryland.
The DAM will ensure data accuracy and consistent reporting by designing and creating optimal processes and procedures across all SMASH programs by:
-Creating new data system tools and managing existing tools. Lead creation and roll out of new Programs data management systems. Ensuring current Programs data management systems are up to date and well maintained. Analyzing efficacy of existing systems and tools to identify areas of and/or new tools for improvement. Supporting the dissemination of resources and reports to Programs staff, SMASH Leadership, and wider public
-Driving performance and evaluation reporting. Building, coordinating and managing data-driven, quality assurance and performance measuring tools/dashboards to support ongoing program operations
-Identifying best practices and process improvement. Researching and/or creating tools and procedures to support optimal flow of information, data, and communication among internal and appropriate external stakeholders to expedite processing times, reduce effort, and increase intelligence regarding program activities, finances, and use of human resources. Tools may include forms, reports, business rules or procedures, and/or technology. Supporting Programs staff adoption of the tools and processes through training and other assistance, and introducing group tools and processes that drive impact and efficacy
-Completing general administrative tasks. Performing administrative and fiscal activities that may include human resources support, inventory control and ordering, records management, contracts, accounting and budgetary monitoring and auditing
Responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Lead cross-functional projects using data modeling and analysis techniques to discover insights that will guide strategic decisions and uncover optimization opportunities.
- Build, develop and maintain data models, reporting systems, data automation systems, dashboards and performance metrics support that support key programmatic decisions.
- Design and build technical processes to address program issues.
- Oversee the design and delivery of reports and insights that analyze program functions and key operations and performance metrics.
- Ensure accuracy of data and deliverables of reporting employees with comprehensive policies and processes.
- Manage and optimize processes for data intake, validation, mining and engineering as well as modeling, visualization and communication deliverables.
- Examine, interpret and report results of analytical initiatives to stakeholders in leadership, Curriculum + Training, Alumni, and Regional teams.
- Oversee the data/report requests process: tracking requests submitted, prioritization, approval, etc.
- Develop and implement quality controls and departmental standards to ensure quality standards, organizational expectations, and regulatory requirements.
- Communicate results and program impacts of insight initiatives to stakeholders within and outside of the organization
In order to fulfill these responsibilities, the ideal candidate will have:
- Lead data analytics function for team of full time and seasonal staff members to execute a vision of excellence in STEM, with an emphasis on computing education, across all SMASH programs
- Work with SMASH regions to ensure program fidelity and how best to fit national program initiatives to regional sites
- Support a team of talented and passionate people who are focused on the operational excellence needed for high student impact in a highly flexible environment
- Participate in the design and scoping of operational needs for new measures to enhance the impact and sustainability of SMASH
Operations Management and Development
- Develop and maintain the reporting tools that will effectively demonstrate the operational execution of all SMASH Academy programs
- Lead the implementation and maintenance of tools, systems and Standard Operating Procedures that will ensure program efficacy and efficiency
- Monitor and manage scorecard and program dashboards; establish consistent, objective program performance standards of accountability
- Provide expertise in the following areas: project planning and management, program operations, and budget management
Qualifications for Data Analytics Manager
- Working knowledge of data mining principles: predictive analytics, mapping, collecting data from multiple data systems on premises and cloud-based data sources
- Strong SQL skills, ability to perform effective querying involving multiple tables and subqueries
- Understanding of and experience using analytical concepts and statistical techniques: hypothesis development, designing tests/experiments, analyzing data, drawing conclusions, and developing actionable recommendations for program units
- Experience working with databases and creating dashboards using all relevant data to inform decisions
- Experience using analytics techniques to contribute to organization growth efforts and other key program outcomes
- Strong ability to plan and manage numerous processes, people and projects simultaneously
- Excellent communication, collaboration and delegation skills
- We’re looking for someone with at least 3 years of experience in a position monitoring, managing, manipulating and drawing insights from data. The right candidate will also be proficient and experienced with the following tools/programs:
- Strong programming skills with querying languages: SQL, SAS, etc.
- Experience with data visualization tools: Tableau, Raw, chart.js, etc.
- Python, R, or other programming languages
- Experience with Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
Organizational and Cultural Values
- Exhibit a passion for educational equity and demonstrated effectiveness in working with youth from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Possess a significant connection to STEM, as demonstrated by an educational degree in a STEM field, experience in STEM education, or equivalent
- Cultivate strong people management skills, including inspiring staff in a shared strategic vision, building an outstanding culture, and maintaining strong relationships across a variety of stakeholder groups
- Thrive in an entrepreneurial environment, including effectively adapting to changing priorities, juggling multiple projects, operating with a high degree of autonomy, and maintaining high levels of organization in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrate a measurable orientation towards:
- Focus on Impact
- Evidence-based Decisions
- Strengthen Our Communities
- Balance Passion and Practicality
- Experiment, Evaluate, Modify, and Implement
- Be a Strong Link in the Chain
- Celebrate and Have Some Fun
- Periodic travel to SMASH regions
- Regular evening and weekend work is required, with a higher frequency during March - June leading up to summer program launch
- A minimum 3-year commitment to role is desired
SMASH provides competitive compensation commensurate with experience and an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life/disability insurance, paid time off, 401k, volunteer time and flexible spending accounts (i.e. parking, transit, medical and dependent care). Our collaborative office is located in Oakland’s dynamic Uptown District. SMASH shares the building with several professional services and nonprofit organizations. We also hold community-building events and have a collegial atmosphere with a shared mission for social justice and educational equity.
Statement of Non-Discrimination
In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination/ harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/ domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination/ harassment based on "protected categories," SMASH also strives to prevent other, subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (e.g., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at SMASH.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please apply here: https://apply.workable.com/smashprogram/j/68B7F1EE5B/apply/
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert