Founding Director, Harlem Montessori Pre-K
Harlem Village Academies
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Education
City: New York
Postal code: 10027
State: New York
Country: United States
At Harlem Village Academies, our vision is for our students to become intellectually sophisticated, wholesome in character, avid lifelong readers and writers, independent thinkers, and compassionate individuals who make a meaningful contribution to society.
Teachers here have more than a voice: we are trusted every day to make important decisions for our schools. Each of us is passionate about creating a rich intellectual life for ourselves and our students. We deeply value the craft of excellent teaching. As educators, we are constantly digging deeper into the intricacies of learning and student work. We plan curriculum together, observe each other's lessons, and talk all the time about teaching. We are lit up with entrepreneurial drive, and the intellectual energy is palpable.
The Founding Director will design, plan and launch the Harlem Montessori Pre-K with a start date in the Spring of 2021.
Harlem Village Academies is a community of educators in Harlem working to build an urban school district based on the tenets of progressive education. HVA is the lab school for the Progressive Education Institute.
The Pre-K Founding Director will lead faculty, staff, instruction and culture at the Harlem Montessori Pre-K, guiding the school community to realize our vision. The ideal candidate will have experience in early childhood instruction and school leadership as well as experience with the Montessori approach. As the instructional leader of the Harlem Montessori Pre-K, the Director’s focus will be to design and build a world class progressive Pre-K program. The candidate will work within an organization that values entrepreneurial drive and accountability as well as kindness, warmth and teamwork.
- Ensure student learning and the quality of student thinking
- Promote student independence, intellectual curiosity and intrinsic motivation
- Hire, manage and develop an exceptionally effective faculty and staff
- Facilitate high quality professional development
- Build and nurture strong relationships to maintain a thriving community of families
- Ensure compliance with NYS standard
- Master’s degree in Early Childhood Development or related field
- Minimum five years of teaching experience and five years of leadership experience
- Experience teaching in a Montessori school, preferably in an urban setting
- Ability to effectively lead a team of educators to accomplish an ambitious vision
- Experience in leading school culture based on restorative practices
- A sense of personal accountability for results and experience holding a team to high standards; entrepreneurial mindset with focus on student outcomes
Our team is passionately committed to the vision and values of Harlem Village Academies; have a positive mindset; a very strong work ethic; and an inner drive for excellence. The ideal candidate will thrive working within an entrepreneurial and results-driven environment.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Submit your application through the Careers section of our website: https://harlemvillageacademies.org/careers/join-us/?gh_jid=2556139
Harlem Village Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert