Research and Impact, Senior Associate
Every Mother Counts
Position Type: Full-Time
Function: Research and Development
Primary domain: Healthcare
City: New York
Postal code: 10001
State: New York
Country: United States
Every Mother Counts is a non-profit organization dedicated to making pregnancy and childbirth safe for every mother, everywhere. We work to achieve quality, respectful, and equitable maternity care for all by supporting quality programs through grants and working with partners and thought leaders to increase awareness and mobilize communities to take action. This position will report to the Managing Director of Policy, Advocacy, and Grantmaking and will work collaboratively across teams, including with the Communications, Development, and Engagement team as appropriate and needed. This position is based in New York City.
The Research and Impact Senior Associate will play a key role in contributing to the development of materials that effectively inform and educate diverse audiences about the organization’s work in policy, advocacy, and grant-making. They will perform a variety of responsibilities, including research, analysis, synthesis and articulation of maternal health issue areas and programmatic activities, and the development of EMC’s policy and advocacy materials. This position will cover both international and domestic issues and will contribute to the development of and communication about EMC’s public outreach and education, policy, fundraising and grant-making efforts. This position serves as a critical link among the organization’s team members, providing strong content expertise that will translate and amplify program and policy activities into meaningful opportunities, including in storytelling and raising public awareness around maternal health issues.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Research and Writing (70%)
- Monitor and research the global and U.S. maternal health landscape on an ongoing basis to inform messaging and programmatic and policy priorities;
- Manage EMC’s research guide, updating it with the most relevant and current maternal health resources and statistics;
- Collaborate in the development of high-quality, evidence-based maternal health issue area and policy content, including reports, articles, issue briefs, manuscripts, presentations, and other formats;
- Develop content for toolkits, talking points, and other resources to contribute to use for publications, interviews, and events for EMC leadership;
- Develop fact sheets that reflect policy, advocacy, and grantee partners’ activities, and support the development of key messaging in order to make information accessible to a wider audience;
- Work with the Managing Director and other team members to draft letters and statements of support for policies and initiatives that adequately represent and are aligned with Every Mothers Counts’ mission and values;
- Provide content expertise for projects and activities across the organization, including new films, impact reports, newsletters, and public education and advocacy campaigns;
- Assist with developing grant proposals to potential funders and reports for donors;
- Assist with overseeing the organization’s Twitter account and support the creation and sharing of content on social media streams, specifically as it relates to maternal health news and policy & advocacy; and
- Collaborate on other research and writing activities as opportunities arise.
Grants Program / Monitoring and Evaluation (20%)
- Work closely with the Associate Director of Grantmaking to understand country context and grantee partner work in order to effectively communicate their work and impact;
- Contribute to the tracking of metrics, including impact measurement, investments across grantees and countries, in-kind donations made to grantees, and advocacy successes and milestones;
- Research potential collaborators and partners working in maternal health in the global and domestic landscape;
- Assist with data collection, grantee outreach, developing and implementing a grantee survey and a convening for grantee partners; and
- Provide technical assistance to grantee partners as needed.
Advocacy Engagement (10%)
- Work to expand EMC’s policy and advocacy platform by supporting the Managing Director of Policy, Advocacy, and Grantmaking with engagements related to new and existing maternal health legislation, campaigns, and targeted initiatives taking place at the local, state, national, and global levels.
Professional Experience & Qualifications:
- Master of Public Health degree and at least 2 years of experience working in the non-profit sector, preferably in maternal or global health;
- Knowledge and/or interest in the field of international and domestic maternal health;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including ability to communicate to diverse audiences;
- Strong research skills;
- Demonstrated experience and competency in managing social media platforms;
- Ability to support a fast-paced and collaborative team with accountability and efficiency;
- Demonstrated ability to be innovative and highly productive, with a focus on excellence in a high energy, fast moving, deadline orientated environment;
- Strong project management, coordination, time management, and organizing skills;
- Acute attention to detail and a track record of consistently delivering quality work;
- Communicates about plans and decisions with openness and honesty with team members and others;
- A team player who engenders trust and confidence, with an ability to interact positively with all members of the staff;
- Must have the ability to work independently and in a team setting; and
- Passion for and demonstrated commitment to maternal and reproductive health.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please send cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and writing sample to [email protected]. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert