Position Type: Board
Primary domain: Education
City: New York
Postal code: 10010
State: New York
Country: United States
$1M - $3M
Strengthening kids and communities through the power of stories.
LitWorld works to create a global movement of equity, opportunity, and joy. We build opportunities for millions of people across the United States and around the world by listening and responding to children, amplifying stories and voices that are going unheard. LitWorld focuses on universal inner strengths, leveraging literacy and storytelling tools to build empathy and resilience. Since 2007, we have deepened and scaled our work by partnering side-by-side with more than 50 local organizations and global institutions, reaching hundreds of thousands of children and community leaders in over 30 countries through our in-depth LitClubs and LitCamps, and tens of millions with our advocacy campaigns, including World Read Aloud Day.
The Board of Directors is responsible for the governance of LitWorld. The Board assists in setting the strategic course of the organization and, where appropriate, makes decisions and establishes policies to advance the mission, and is responsible for fiduciary and legal oversight.
Board members serve one 3-year term, with an option to renew for two additional 3-year terms, with the consent of the Board of Directors.
- Accept the LitWorld mission and promote it to the best of one's abilities and whenever the opportunity presents itself; develop and refine the vision; and, uphold the philosophy and values of LitWorld
- Participate in developing, approving and supporting the strategic course for LitWorld
- Approve annual budget and all tax-related documents
- Be an active and engaged Board member
Actively participate in fund development, whether through personal contributions, personal fundraising outreach, identification of potential donors, participation in the fundraising campaigns or assistance in securing grants and corporate sponsorships
Set policy to ensure compliance in requisite areas, including without limitation managing conflicts of interest, Bylaws review and document retention and destruction.
Review, evaluate and determine officer compensation.
Evaluate Executive Director performance.
Understand LitWorld’s financial position, budget and operating expenses well enough to assess the impact of Board decisions on the financial condition of the organization
Understand the Board’s responsibilities and be mindful of the implications of Board actions.
Where necessary, recommend that outside specialized advice be obtained.
- Inspire the confidence of the other Board members, our communities that we serve and the non
profit organizations that we partner with
Be willing to avoid conflicts of interest, and the appearance thereof
Keep Board deliberations confidential
Serve on at least one of the following committees: Executive, Finance, Fundraising, Governance, Legal, Strategy or such other committee as may be formed from time to time by the Board.
- Attend and participate in a minimum of 2 out of 3 in-person Board meetings/retreats and 2 of the 3 calls in a year (all virtual during Covid)
- Suggested give/get: $7,500
- Contribute a minimum 3 hours per month through committee support or individual contribution of expertise and knowledge
- Passionate about the cause of literacy and the mission of LitWorld
- Committed to fulfill all Board responsibilities
- Able to bring and contribute expertise, skills and networking opportunities to LitWorld, the Board and the Staff
- Enjoys meeting people; eager to meet and engage with our donors and get to know the young people of LitWorld
- Enjoys working collaboratively and as part of a team
Unpaid Board Position
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
If you are interested in applying and/or learning more, please send your resume to Anxhelina Prenika, LitWorld's Director of Operations: [email protected]
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert