About Guilford County Schools (GCS)
Guilford County Schools (GCS) is the third-largest district in North Carolina, serving nearly 72,000 students across 126 schools in urban, suburban and rural areas. Superintendent Sharon L. Contreras, Ph.D., is leading the district through a pivotal phase in its development, focused on graduating students who are ready to be successful citizens and leaders of the world. GCS’s leadership team will play a critical role in helping the district reach its top priorities which focus on student achievement, equity and excellence, talent development, school choice, and organizational effectiveness.About the Chief Operations Officer
Reporting directly to the Superintendent, the Chief Operations Officer is a critical leadership role that directly affects the acceleration of improved student outcomes for GCS students. The Chief Operations Officer designs, directs and monitors the operational services and systems and ensures all services are implemented within federal, state, and local regulations. The leader in this position will oversee all construction management, facilities, maintenance, transportation, and technology services for the district. This leader leads comprehensive planning and coordination, stewards capital budgets and construction projects, and ensures operational excellence so that schools operate efficiently, effectively and safely.Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Equity Leadership and Student Success
● Assess the operations department and ensure resources are allocated to schools equitably in order to efficiently and effectively meet the needs of all GCS students and families.
● Establish a clear and compelling vision and mission for the Operations team.
● Cultivate a commitment among all district staff that all students will achieve high standards.
● Confront preconceptions and model open dialogue about race, culture, class and other issues of difference with peers, staff, students and the community.
● Demonstrate cultural proficiency, sensitivity, and equity to ensure students’ needs are met.
Operations, Facilities and Maintenance
● Direct and lead the planning and management of the district’s current and future campuses, including facilities planning, negotiations, development, building management, safety and compliance.
● Collaborate and provide thought partnership to district and school leaders to ensure high quality, efficient and effective services are provided to the schools.
● Develop and update existing practices to successfully operate the current schools and launch new schools.
● Leverage innovative technology and data in decision-making, which may include compilation of quantitative and qualitative data from internal and external sources, analysis and synthesis and articulation of findings to key stakeholders.
● Support the strategic planning process in collaboration with the executive team with specific ownership of operational components.
● Manage staffing, systems and vendors to support reliable transportation, custodial services, and food services at the school sites.
Systems and Policies
● Assess the effectiveness of the department and current data systems; prioritize, plan, and implement improvements as needed.
● Refine and build sustainable, scalable, cost-efficient operational systems, processes and services that support the district’s mission, vision and values.
● Establish systems and processes for quality controls, operational efficiency, and accuracy in departmental work.
● Cultivate responsive and efficient customer service orientation into all aspects of the district and school operations team.
● Provide and maintain appropriate technology solutions to meet the district’s operating needs.
● Create proactive systems that garner feedback from schools to inform district-level policy and practice.
● Use and analyze data to drive decisions and guide problem-solving to achieve the best student outcomes.
o Share data with broad audiences to improve transparency and communication.
o Facilitate problem-solving and dispute resolution to ensure appropriate services and resources for students.
o Recognize and address systemic issues efficiently, effectively, and consistently.
● Remain current on relevant policies, federal and state statutes, staffing and financial resources and requirements and apply this knowledge constructively in the operation of educational services.
● Provide technical assistance to staff, families, and outside agencies related to the implementation of legal mandates.
Talent Management and Professional Learning
● Supervise, mentor, evaluate and provide professional growth and development opportunities for staff.
● Support staff in developing, implementing, and evaluating strategy and project plans to achieve goals.
● Build and cultivate a strong operations team culture
● Manage and allocate resources (e.g., money, people, and time) strategically and equitably so that they align to schools’ needs. Key Competencies
The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following:
Vision and Courage to Ensure All Students Achieve
● Demonstrate cultural fluency, sensitivity, and a strong racial equity lens to establish a culture of growth mindset around issues of equity and to deliver services that meet the needs of our students.
● Demonstrate belief and hold self and others accountable for reaching high academic achievement of all students.
● Foster and inspire a clear and compelling vision.
● Be courageous in addressing matters of equity, race, and bias in decision-making.
Knowledge and Expertise in Operations, Technology, Facilities and Capital Projects
● Possess a track record of launching, developing and maintaining facilities and new school sites.
● Leverage existing technology for improved efficiency and growth and remain current on emerging technology and trends.
● Demonstrate knowledge of federal, state, and local regulation and compliance related to bonds, construction, procurement, and Minority/Women Owned Business Enterprises.
Strategic Planning, Organization and Effective Execution
● Offer innovative solutions to seemingly intractable problems and adapt strategy to changing conditions.
● Demonstrate critical thinking skills and the ability to analyze data, identify trends, and diagnose root causes.
● Exhibit a strong focus on goals and results. Set clear metrics for success.
● Prioritize and plan activities, monitor progress continually and demonstrate persistence to overcome obstacles to achieve goals.
● Displays willingness to make timely decisions using sound judgment.
Influence and Leadership
● Create clear compelling vision; demonstrate leadership and confidence in order to mobilize others to fulfill the vision.
● Communicate effectively, tailoring messages for the audience, context, and mode of communication.
● Listen actively to others and effectively interpret motivations/perceptions. Seek and integrate feedback from others to achieve better results.
● Build positive relationships and coalitions. Maintain visibility and work collaboratively with diverse stakeholders at all levels (i.e. district staff, students, families, communities, advocacy groups, etc.).
Team Leadership and Management
● Build and lead effective teams to achieve ambitious goals.
● Assess team and individual skills and identify development needs; provide feedback and support to improve practice, build capacity, and maximize talent.
● Promote professional learning and utilize effective adult learning techniques.
● Lead teams to collaborate with other departments, teams, and stakeholders.