Associate Director, Corporate Alliances
American Association for Cancer Research
Position Type: Full-Time
Primary domain: Research
Postal code: 19106
Country: United States
The mission of the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) is to prevent and cure cancer through research, education, communication, collaboration, science policy and advocacy, and funding for cancer research. Through its programs and services, the AACR fosters research in cancer and related biomedical science; accelerates the dissemination of new research findings among scientists and others dedicated to the conquest of cancer; promotes science education and training; and advances the understanding of cancer etiology, prevention, diagnosis, and treatment throughout the world.
The American Association for Cancer Research (AACR), with more than 47,000 members residing in 126 countries, is the first and largest organization in the world dedicated to advances in all areas of high-quality, innovative cancer research. Its mission is to prevent and cure all cancers. The programs and activities of the AACR foster the exchange of new knowledge among scientists and physicians in cancer research as well as in related sciences. The AACR publishes nine peer-reviewed scientific journals and an award-winning magazine for cancer patients and their loved ones; convenes topical scientific conferences and an annual meeting that draws more than 22,500 participants; offers educational workshops that train young investigators in a variety of scientific and clinical areas; funds research fellowships, career development awards, and research grants for both senior and junior investigators; raises public awareness of the progress in the biology, detection, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of cancer; engages actively in advocacy for increased federal research funding and other national policies that accelerate progress against cancer; and interacts with regulatory agencies to support regulatory science and policy.
The fundraising arm of the AACR, the AACR Foundation, seeks an accomplished, energetic and results-oriented professional focused on developing relationships that will result in six and seven-figure gifts from assigned industry (pharma, biotech, diagnostics) partners for a range of AACR program activities (scientific grants/awards, conferences, patient advocacy initiatives, etc.). She/he will be a strategist to maximize and secure industry support, while creatively and meaningfully engaging industry clients in a long-term partnership with the AACR.
The Associate Director of Corporate Alliances will apply her/his understanding of the biomedical research ecosystem, familiarity with the pharmaceutical/biotech industry, and scientific knowledge to maintain and develop relationships with key industry organizations and leaders in support of the AACR mission. In addition to managing existing relationships, this individual will be responsible for developing and managing new strategic alliances. The Associate Director will interface regularly with colleagues across the organization to gain intimate knowledge of AACR initiatives and to leverage synergies where possible. Working with the Deputy Director of Corporate Alliances and Foundation Relations, she/he will manage a portfolio of accounts and work to develop collateral and programs aimed at engaging the unique interests of the AACR’s industry partners.
The Associate Director should plan to travel locally and nationally, often to leading scientific meetings, to engage industry clients in face-to-face visits on a regular basis. The individual will serve as a managerial-level staff member of the AACR Foundation who acts as a mentor for junior staff, modeling a positive and professional demeanor. As an ambassador for the AACR, the Associate Director will be expected to exude professionalism and quality.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains an excellent relationship with various AACR partners mapping out all relevant funding channels and contacts at each account. Translates this understanding into actionable partnership and solicitations leading to growth of AACR revenue.
- Performs role of key client contact across multiple accounts, taking a professional and timely approach to communications. Stewards clients successfully with minimal direction, while proactively seeking regular review and input from Deputy Director.
- Utilizes scientific expertise to establish new, and strengthen, existing revenue-generating corporate partnerships in support of AACR meetings, conferences, grants, and other key scientific priorities.
- Remains abreast of oncology market trends for the US and global markets, particularly as it impacts clients
- Provides high quality, timely development and input to client solutions for the pharmaceutical and related industries.
- Responsible for the planning and execution of various meetings and events, such as the AACR-Industry Roundtable, that are designed to strengthen AACR’s relationships with industry. Drives meeting outcomes reporting identifying next steps and follow-through to maximize opportunities.
- Pursues and forms productive and collegial relationships with various AACR departments to remain informed of organizational priorities and sustain the flow of information about programs, budgets, etc. required to complete proposals.
- Works thoroughly, quickly, and efficiently. Is mindful of deadlines and the high volume of requests demanding completion.
- May pursue information directly from prospective funding source as appropriate to inform preparation of a grant request.
- Documents follow-up communications related to each proposal initiative for specific donors/prospects in shared files and database, which are accessible to larger team – to inform related strategies and interactions with the prospect.
- Effectively manages high volume of unique support requests and proposals.
- Acts as liaison between AACR, AACR Foundation, and certain external agencies, companies, and volunteers.
- Tracks and manages grant deliverables, including interim and final reports, working with program staff to develop content, budgets, and financial reports.
- Performs the essential functions of the position, and other tasks as may be assigned and required.
- At least 3-5 years of experience in oncology research or a related setting with strong knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry
- Thorough conceptual understanding of the drug development and commercialization process
- Knowledge and understanding of the oncology marketplace
- Mastery at handling a large volume of projects efficiently and quickly in a deadline driven environment while maintaining accuracy and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated skills in developing business partnerships
- Experience in building strong external and internal relationships.
- Excellent time-management skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels with diverse individuals
- Ability to comprehend, synthesize and communicate complex scientific content
- Demonstrated ability to make complex decisions, problem solve, practice hands- on management, and work with volunteers
- Passion for AACR’s mission to prevent and cure cancer
- Master’s Degree minimum
- PharmD or PhD in biological science preferred
Technical Competencies & Special Skills:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Experience using fund raising software to track proposals and information related to prospects.
Full benefits available on the first day of the month following 30 days.
$100k - 120k
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should go to our website to apply: https://careers-aacr.icims.com
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert