Director of Development
New Story - We pioneer solutions to end global homelessness.
Position Type: Full-Time
Primary domain: Housing/Shelter
City: Flexible (Atlanta or SF Bay Area preferred)
Postal code: 94105
Country: United States
$10M - $20M
New Story pioneers solutions to end global homelessness. We work in Mexico, Haiti, and El Salvador and, in just five years, have built more than 2,700 homes for families who have been denied adequate shelter. Our homes are for real people, with real needs, and everything we do includes them in the process. Each construction project is made possible by a diverse ecosystem of partners including local governments, nonprofits, and our increasingly globalized New Story team. In 2019, we piloted the world’s first 3D printed housing community for 54 families, an innovation that will help close the housing gap even more.
At a time of exciting growth and experimentation, we are seeking an energetic Director of Development to build upon our fundraising success, develop a portfolio of major donors, and manage a team of fundraisers. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, this position will join a global team that is deeply committed to dreaming big, treating people well, and imagining a world where every family has the opportunity to thrive. Specifically, the Director of Development will:
- Develop and lead forward-thinking strategies to 1) raise approximately $20 million annually, 2) identify and acquire new supporters, and 3) diversify revenue sources across individual, foundation, and corporate donors.
- Personally cultivate, solicit, and steward a portfolio of major donors with the capacity to give 5- and 6-figure annual and/or multi-year gifts.
- Identify, qualify, and pursue pipelines of new donors, leveraging relationships within the organization (e.g. leadership team, board) and researching and initiating relationships with donors who are new to New Story.
- Build out and manage a 6-member-and-growing fundraising team, providing individualized support to direct reports and fostering a collaborative team culture.
- Ensure effective development operations and drive fundraising best practices by creating and/or refining systems, tools, and processes to support the team’s work, including donor prospecting, moves management, and communications.
- In partnership with the brand/marketing team, develop creative and impactful content, events, and reports that connects donors with our work and their impact.
You are passionate about innovating solutions to end global homelessness.
You share New Story’s vision and passion to tackle this massive and complex issue through breakthrough solutions and in close partnership with local communities and families.
You are a versatile and well-rounded development professional.
You bring 8+ years of work experience in fundraising, with a track record qualifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major ($50K+) individual and institutional supporters. You are knowledgeable about fundraising systems, processes, and best practices.
You’re a “big picture” thinker with the ability to implement tactically.
You have the strategic prowess required to meet aggressive growth goals. You are willing and able to roll up your sleeves to make things happen. You see something that can be improved, and you don’t wait to fix it.
You are a thoughtful relationship builder and engaging communicator.
You have a warm, energetic, and authentic personality that translates to building lasting relationships both internally and externally. You communicate ideas in ways that inspire others to action.
You can pitch. Confidently and passionately.
You’re comfortable asking for money and are not afraid to hear no. You possess a keen ability to sell ideas and close deals. You operate with poise, dignity, and reliability.
You have a team ethos and love working with people.
You thrive in a creative, inventive, fast-paced startup environment. You enjoy bringing people together to achieve a goal. People enjoy working with you because they know they can trust you.
Salary range is $115,000 - $130,000 adjusted for experience and geographic location. Benefits include full healthcare, unlimited vacation after first year of employment, 401K plan, commuter benefits, parental leave, adoption reimbursement, international travel, and professional development opportunities.
$120k - 140k
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Click here to apply with your resume and personalized cover letter that answers the question "What excites you about New Story and the Director of Development opportunity?” Please address cover letter to Sarah Lee, Chief Operating Officer. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and handled with confidentiality.
Posted By: Dana Hagenbuch Search
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert