Managing Director of External Affairs
Position Type: Full-Time
Primary domain: Education
Postal code: 77036
Country: United States
$1M - $3M
Our mission is to close the degree divide in America.
Vision: every young person will have an equitable opportunity to achieve their greatest postsecondary aspirations.
Despite decades of work and millions of dollars invested, the degree divide continues to be one of our nation’s most complex and critical injustices, with deep roots in systems of oppression and racism. Only 22% of students from low-income communities earn a college degree, compared to 67% of their peers from high-income areas.
COVID-19 further exposed and exacerbated inequity, with communities of color and those in low-income areas impacted at disproportionately high rates. We are looking for individuals to join us in our fight for equity during this extremely critical time.
- OneGoal has grown from a small afterschool program serving just 32 students in Chicago to a nationwide movement that is serving some 12,500 students in six communities.
- Our model, honed over 12 years, has three core differentiators: A rigorous, culturally relevant content and experience, cohorts of students who can support each other over the course of three years, and a teacher who supports our most vulnerable students’ long-term ambitions.
- 86% of OneGoal high school graduates enroll in a postsecondary institution and 76% of those who enroll persist one year after high school.
- To learn more about our work in the Houston area, visit our OneGoal Houston page.
As the Managing Director of External Affairs, your mission is to set the vision, direction and strategy for all components of the Houston External Affairs team. You’re chiefly responsible for ensuring our business model has the financial resources necessary to create a financially sustainable region. You will do this by engaging all internal-facing development teams (Houston development team and other revenue-generating entities) and external- facing constituents (board and donor base) toward creating innovative solutions that meet and exceed our annual key performance indicators while maintaining a strong internal culture that fosters a high level of engagement that produces highly effective teams.
You will do this by:
- Setting the vision, direction and strategy for the OneGoal Houston External Affairs team, including the design of innovative business model solutions that ensure the region’s financial sustainability. The plan should include multi-year goals, strategies, and campaigns across foundation, corporate, individual and public funding streams
- Designing equitable and innovative solutions to influence, educate and motivate new and existing external constituents to invest in our work, at $2.1M in this fiscal year, and over $2.4M each of the next few years
- Effectively managing a portfolio of donors (individuals, corporations, foundations, and public sources) by reviewing and analyzing progress to goal and making strategic decisions to inform actions and campaigns
- Leading and managing a team of two to maximize their effectiveness
- Providing direct support to the Executive Director to set board vision and engagement strategies
The Managing Director of External Affairs is likely to see himself/herself/themselves in the following examples, as they are designed to help you determine if this opportunity aligns with your own skills, experiences, passion and purpose.
You hold and act on a deep conviction that the degree divide is one of our nation’s most critical injustices, with deep roots in systems of oppression and racism.
- You believe that our Fellows face real, systemic challenges that hinder their ability to achieve a college education. Yet, you understand that those challenges are surmountable – though not easy – through a program like OneGoal that leverages highly effective teachers to support young people to and through college. You know the work isn’t easy but you also know that our Fellows deserve nothing less.
- You take an equity-centered approach to your work and actively work to uproot the barriers and mindsets that impede opportunity for our Fellows and our work.
- In your development work, you are committed to influencing others to gain and act on an understanding of the barriers our Fellows face and become champions of addressing that injustice.
- You believe in an inclusive and culturally competent society and will actively live out our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
You are a strategist.
- You are driven by solving complex challenges at both the group and individual level, using both data and experience, recognizing the complexity of action and strategy requires evidence as well as an ability to dream big.
- You like to build innovative approaches and models. You make connections, determine fits, and build plans that are responsive to interlocking and evolving challenges and opportunities.
- Contingency planning and problem solving excite you, and working to streamline and improve systems gives you energy.
You are a leader and collaborator.
- You connect your success to the success of those you work with, and believe in both shared responsibility and mutual accountability.
- You leverage strengths and believe in clear expectations and regular, honest feedback are the cornerstones of growth.
- As a manager, you believe in the inherent potential and capacity of people, and you seek to empower your team to become leaders and agents of change, to grow and thrive and to ultimately share in building OneGoal Houston.
You are a compelling and inspiring communicator and it is rooted in your beliefs.
- You’ve developed materials and talking points that have resulted in impact and building champions in your work. You have a unique ability to understand others’ perspectives and motivations and adjust your messages, approach and design based on your audience.
- You get energy from meeting others and they are inspired when they meet you. When you meet someone, you are able to understand what motivates them, communicate why our work matters, and connect their interests to investing in OneGoal.
- You are an exceptional communicator with experience winning people over. It’s energizing to “close the deal,” and you will not give up easily when you have identified someone who is a strong fit.
- Your written and verbal communication shines whether meant for a new intern or a founding Board member.
- Bachelor’s Degree (Required)
- 3-5 years development experience in senior level roles (Required)
- Demonstrated experience managing development campaigns of $2M+ and above (Highly Preferred)
- 2+ years of experience managing teams to achieve desired outcomes (Required)
- Understanding of the Houston philanthropic landscape (Highly Preferred)
- Willingness to travel to external stakeholders across Houston
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package* which includes medical, dental, vision, short-term disability, long-term disability, life insurance, retirement matching, paid parental leave, and more. We also offer a generous paid time off policy, including 20 paid vacation days, holidays and 6 wellness days (flexible sick time).
*OneGoal reserves the right to change benefits at anytime according to business need.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please submit an application through OneGoal's website: https://www.onegoalgraduation.org/position/mdea-hou/
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert