National Director of People and Culture
Position Type: Full-Time
Function: Strategic Planning
Primary domain: Advocacy/Social Action
City: New York
Postal code: 10036
State: New York
Country: United States
Amnesty International's vision is of a world in which every person enjoys all of the human rights enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and other international human rights instruments. In pursuit of this vision, Amnesty International’s mission is to undertake research and action focused on preventing and ending grave abuses of these rights.
About Amnesty International USA (AIUSA):
Amnesty International is a Nobel Peace Prize-winning global movement of more than 10 million people who campaign for a world where human rights are enjoyed by all. The organization investigates and exposes abuses, educates and mobilizes the public, and works to protect people wherever justice, freedom, truth and dignity are denied. As the United States section of our global movement, comprising more than 220,000 supporters, AIUSA engages people in the U.S. to fight injustice all around the world, while we also work to protect people’s human rights here in the U.S. Whether speaking out for refugees and against oppression abroad, or calling for an end to gun violence and the unlawful use of lethal force by police, Amnesty International and its membership shines a light on violations and offers ways to help. Read more about our impact here.
The National Director (ND) of People and Culture will join AIUSA during a time of critical introspection and profound change. Over the last year, while shifting to a fully remote work environment and bringing on several new executives to our senior leadership team, we have concurrently been in the process of strengthening our culture, improving our processes and practices, and innovating the ways in which we make human rights impact. The ND will serve on the Management Team (the senior leadership body reporting to the Executive Team) and report directly to the Chief Inclusion & Strategic Innovation Officer (CISIO). The ND will work in strong partnership with the Executive Team, Management Team, and people managers to build thriving, engaged teams, contributing to a sense of trust, community, and belonging across the organization.
The ND will be charged with reimagining the power of HR to be a leading driver of excellence and organizational transformation, through advancing an innovative vision for People & Culture, leveraging proven and emerging approaches to talent management. AIUSA seeks a leader that creates a strong, values-based culture, incorporates cutting edge IDEA (inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility) best practices, and places people at the center of HR policy. In this highly visible leadership role, the ND is ultimately responsible for the entire employee life cycle and staff experience; this will require broad and deep HR and culture change expertise, positioning the ND to serve as a strategic organizational partner and trusted advisor who will ensure that all People & Culture initiatives are aligned with AIUSA’s organizational values and short and longer-term strategic objectives.
- Develop and Implement the Vision For the People & Culture Function: In partnership with senior leadership, members of the People & Culture team, and other stakeholders, develop and implement an innovative, progressive, and values-aligned vision and strategic framework for the People & Culture function.
- Performance Management & Professional Development: Manage the development and phases of employee performance management, which includes establishing clear and regular communication, strengthening professional development and training programming for staff at all levels of the organization, overseeing orientation, onboarding, and reboarding, and providing ongoing coaching and feedback to managers and staff.
- Workforce Planning, Recruitment, & Succession Planning: Partner with leaders across the organization to thoughtfully plan for talent / staffing needs. Ensure the timely and efficient filling of open roles, improve succession planning, and develop other sustainable and strategic talent practices, with an eye toward meaningfully diversifying the organization at all levels and in all functions.
- Compensation, Benefits, & Payroll Administration: Oversee and drive all aspects of AIUSA’s total rewards program, including compensation, benefits, and payroll administration. Update AIUSA’s compensation philosophy and regularly verify that compensation and benefits at AIUSA are on track with the market, competitive, and center IDEA principles.
- Labor Relations & Conflict Resolution: Build strong and trusting relationships with all staff, fortifying the People & Culture team’s ability to work with union representatives and shop stewards in collective bargaining, and to productively address conflict and resolve grievances. Manage the process of any grievance and arbitration.
- Employee Relations, Engagement, & Wellbeing: Serve as a resource for managers on employee relations issues, including conflict resolution and employee investigations. Serve as a conduit to create a culture of engagement, inclusion, wellbeing, trust, and positive excellence in the workplace. Oversee innovative and comprehensive wellbeing strategies, and employee engagement surveys and related initiatives. Design and support opportunities for all-staff connection and help re-envision workplace practices and organization design in a fully remote/partial flex environment.
- Mission & Values Alignment: Demonstrated commitment to human rights and social justice through prior professional experience. Deep understanding of mission-driven and nonprofit cultures, organizational development, and change management, and their intersection with People & Culture practices.
- Full Employee Life Cycle Expertise: Minimum of 15 years of progressively responsible HR roles, with at least five years of experience managing staff, ideally in a nonprofit setting. Strong expertise and direct experience in all aspects of the employee life cycle, including recruitment, employment, onboarding, performance management, compensation practices, and compliance with all federal and state regulations. Proven ability to lead strategic workforce planning, implement data-driven talent practices, and align planning, performance, learning, and daily management. Experience in employee/labor relations, unions, labor contract negotiation, and collective bargaining.
- Senior Leadership & Team Management: Experience leading the HR practice as a hands-on senior leader in an organization, directing enterprise-wide people strategies, systems, and processes. Strong leadership, supervisory, and managerial skills. Exceptional interpersonal and relationship building skills, including high emotional intelligence and outstanding coaching and mentoring ability. A strong track record of cultivating high-performing People & Culture teams and fostering the team’s engagement, growth, and development. Experience effectively driving and leading through change, rallying stakeholders around a shared vision in a way that generates buy-in and promotes adoption.
- IDEA Expertise: Expertise in designing and implementing IDEA, wellbeing, engagement, and professional development practices at the enterprise level as part of a comprehensive and progressive talent management strategy. History of benchmarking and staying current on the most recent and sophisticated thinking on creating cultures of belonging and wellbeing, ensuring leaders - and, through their leadership, organizations - are employing best practices to encourage a thriving, high-performing, and values-aligned culture.
- HR System & Process Design & Implementation Expertise: Ability to assess, navigate, and address longstanding structural issues and willingness and readiness to build and sustain a new approach, from the overall vision to the “nuts & bolts” of the HR function. Track record of driving strong implementation and adoption of HR systems and processes.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
This search is being managed by Axis Talent Partners, a boutique executive search and talent strategy firm which partners with social justice-focused organizations. Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter detailing their interest in our mission and qualifications for the position to: https://axistalentpartners.applytojob.com/apply/j5z5WrtiTL/National-Director-Of-People-And-Culture-Amnesty-International?source=Bridgestar
Posted By: Axis Talent Partners
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert