Fountain House, Inc.
Position Type: Full-Time
Primary domain: Mental Health/Crisis Intervention
City: New York City
Postal code: 10036
State: New York
Country: United States
$10M - $20M
For more than 70 years, Fountain House has successfully addressed the devastating impact of mental illness on individuals, families, and communities through its pioneering clubhouse model, which provides a structured, therapeutic social community and the tools to break the bonds of social isolation faced by people living with mental illness, while also addressing their basic health and social needs such as access to healthcare, housing, employment, education, nutrition, and safety. Fountain House accomplishes this by working in partnership with its members – people living with mental illness – and putting them at the center of their own recovery.
Fountain House is the most widely replicated evidence-based model for people living with mental illness in the world with over 300 model programs serving over 100,000 people throughout the US and in more than 30 countries.
We are working for a world where no one is powerless, where health for all is not just an aspiration but a reality, and where creating change is a part of everyday life. We are just getting started and hope you will join us.
The Communications Coordinator is responsible for providing timely and accurate operations support to a busy, productive, and collaborative External Affairs team, along with substantive support for the Director, Communications and the Digital Engagement and Marketing Director. This position also supports digital and editorial efforts. The ideal candidate for this position loves to keep the trains running on-time and being part of a team. They are detail-oriented and scrupulously organized, an excellent writer, passionate about social justice and recognizes how systems impact mental health, and an individual who can thrive in a fast-paced environment.
The Communications Coordinator will handle the administrative work of the department and work collaboratively to support and strengthen the communications efforts at Fountain House. The person holding this position will gain experience within all aspects of communications and be responsible for assuming a variety of administrative, editorial, media monitoring, and web-related tasks.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Project Management/Administrative (75%)
- Manage the communications team editorial calendar and project tracker in Asana/Outlook.
- Manage and schedule External Affairs meetings.
- Provide support and help plan events coordinated by the External Affairs team.
- Handle all routine operations support functions; including accounts payable, vendor invoices, mail, supply ordering, routine calls and correspondence for the External Affairs department.
- Maintain media and stakeholder lists.
- Update website and social media content and coordinate periodic internal reviews to ensure accuracy, relevance, and message continuity.
- Act as community (direct service recipients) liaison to coordinate and facilitate participation and creation of external‑facing content (blogs, social media).
- Draft and proof-read emails, reports, fact sheets and other materials, as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Responsibilities:
- Interest in mental health issues and passion for alleviating the associated stigma.
- Self-starter with demonstrated good judgment, critical thinking, flexibility, resourcefulness, and problem‑solving abilities.
- Exceptional writing, editing and proofreading skills.
- Sound project management skills; ability to run multiple projects simultaneously and work swiftly under competing deadlines.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and familiarity with project management platforms like Asana.
- Good sense of humor and ability to thrive in a collaborative environment.
Required and Preferred Education, Experience and Credentials:
- Bachelor’s degree, with a major in English, Journalism, Communications or related field, or combination of prior work experience and internships in similar positions required.
- Minimum of one year work and/or internship experience in English, Journalism, Communications or related field.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Fountain House, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer
We especially encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. We actively work to increase the diversity of experience and perspectives on our team, and we want to hear from you. Remember, no one comes with the entire complement of skills, and no one is the perfect candidate, so do not let a lack of experience/ skill in one specific area deter you from applying.
Fountain House is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.
At this time Fountain House, Inc. is not able to sponsor visas.
Note: This job description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as may be required. The employer has the right to revise this job description at any time. This job description is not to be construed as a contract for employment.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert