Director of Individual Giving
Northern Virginia Family Service
Position Type: Full-Time
Primary domain: Human Services
Postal code: 22124
Country: United States
To empower individuals and families to improve their quality of life, and to promote community cooperation and support in responding to family needs.
The Director of Individual Giving plays an integral role in the successful implementation and ongoing fund development efforts at NVFS. The Director has primary responsibility for the development of an individual giving strategy, including the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of new and existing donors. The position reports to the Executive Vice President of Development and Communications and will work in tandem with the staff and board members to develop and grow the Northern Virginia Family Service individual giving program and drive major gift strategies. In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, this position will work remotely until at least September 2021.
Essential Job Duties: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with known disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Serve as a leader in the institutional advancement department, which raises approximately $3.5m in private philanthropic revenue for the Agency annually.
- Lead the Agency’s individual giving strategy, planning and carrying out identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of individual giving prospects, especially for mid-level and major donors ($1,000+ giving level).
- Grow the number of mid-level and major donors, and collaborate with Agency leadership and program staff to set funding priorities, strategies and plans for execution.
- Foster long-term relationships between NVFS and its donors and promote positive attitudes toward giving.
- In collaboration with the EVP of Development and Communications, develop system for assigning portfolios of current and prospective major donors to Agency staff and board members.
- In collaboration with the EVP of Development and Communications, serve as a lead for a centennial capital campaign.
- Review database reporting to consistently monitor and evaluate individual giving outreach and performance across the agency, all program areas, and throughout the NVFS geographic footprint.
- Direct prospect research and develop donor briefings and collateral materials for donors.
- Lead efforts to elevate annual giving donors to major gift level.
- In collaboration with board leadership, develop and implement a planned giving program.
- In collaboration with the Annual Giving Manager, implement an effective and comprehensive annual giving program that includes direct mail, electronic fundraising, honor and memorial gifts, online giving days and emerging platforms.
- Work in collaboration with the Director of Events and Stewardship on virtual and in-person donor recognition events and stewardship opportunities in key geographic areas.
- Work in collaboration with communications staff to develop solicitation content.
- Work in collaboration with the Community and Volunteer Engagement team to engage the Agency’s robust network of volunteers as donors.
- Maintain files in accordance with department requirements and NVFS guidelines.
- At least 5 years of experience in nonprofit development with a focus on individual giving.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Experience in the stewardship and procurement of major gifts.
- Experience in integrating volunteer engagement outreach with annual giving strategy.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and usage of basic technological tools including laptops/computers, email, phones, and internet required.
- Experience managing fundraising deliverables through a CRM (Raiser’s Edge preferred).
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Prior supervisory experience a plus.
- Emotional intelligence and strong orientation toward customer service (internally and externally).
- Exceptional attention to detail and highly organized.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and proactively in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, lead projects, meet multiple concurrent deadlines, and organize time and priorities.
- Ability to collaborate effectively and work well as a team player.
- Oral and written fluency in English required. Additional language skills always welcome.
- Must be able to demonstrate and live the organizational values of Communication, Integrity, Respect, Collaboration, and Accountability.
- May be called upon to work beyond normal working hours.
- Successful completion of background checks required upon hire.
This is a benefited position. NVFS is committed to providing a comprehensive, competitive and cost-effective benefits package that promotes a culture of employee well-being. NVFS shares a significant portion of the premium cost for employee and dependent health, dental and vision insurance, and also provides a rich array of benefits offerings to meet the wide variety of employee needs. All benefits, except for the 401k plan, are effective the first of the month following the date of hire. Information on our benefits package can be found here.
$75k - 90k
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please apply directly via our website here.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert