Position Type: Full-Time
Primary domain: Science/Technology
City: San Francisco
Postal code: 94109
Country: United States
We build technology to defend children from sexual abuse.
Thorn is a non-profit focused on building technology to defend children from sexual abuse. Working at Thorn allows you to apply your skills, expertise, and passions to directly impact the lives of vulnerable and abused children. Our staff solves dynamic, quickly evolving problems with our network of partners from tech companies, NGOs, and law enforcement agencies. If you can bring clarity to complexity and lightness to heavy issues, you could be an excellent fit for our team.
In 2019, we took the stage at TED and shared our audacious goal of eliminating child sexual abuse material from the internet.
About the Role:
This is a pivotal moment in the child rights movement. As the public conversation around technology and privacy grows, Thorn’s expert voice is more important than ever.
Thorn is seeking its first-ever Communications Director to help us tell Thorn’s story — the story of an organization deeply engaged in the battle for the soul of the internet. Thorn is defending children’s rights in a digital age, engaging a diverse pool of leaders at the highest levels of technology, policy, and law enforcement both in the US and abroad. Thorn’s new Communications Director will build and execute a communications strategy that mobilizes the public in support of our mission and will lead in the ground-up development of the organization’s communications function. They will capture Thorn’s voice and solidify our reputation as an expert at the intersection of technology and child safety.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop, oversee, and implement a strategic media relations plan to directly serve the sector and cross-functional partners in achieving Thorn’s key business objectives in alignment with the annual Marketing & Communications plan.
- Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with consumers, tech, issue, and policy press. Drive year-round proactive strategy to secure high-value placements for Thorn in media and events around key issues.
- Develop and maintain clear, transparent metrics to track the efficacy of media relations efforts in advancing business goals.
- Develop and deploy a robust set of tools to inform and empower internal and external teams, including News tracking and analysis; Proactive messaging manual; Crisis communications protocol; Media training
- Synthesize complex issues related to Thorn’s work to move diverse audiences - including tech leaders, policy-makers, NGOs, and the general public - to action.
- Manage inbound press requests, make recommendations on media engagement, write talking points, brief participants, and manage all press pieces through placement, including impact tracking.
- Develop press announcements, releases, internal communications, executive/spokespersons briefs, and oversee various press events.
- Ensure our key messaging, narratives, and FAQs scale across audiences.
- Plan and manage agency resources in the execution of press placements and events.
- Secure strategic speaking opportunities and appearances for key executives and spokespersons at high-profile events in the U.S. and internationally.
- Plan and oversee press visits and other in-person press cultivation opportunities.
- Manage crisis communications as needed, maintaining a current risk analysis and crisis comms plan across key issues.
- Support cross-functional leaders, serving each function’s communications needs and understanding the key role each plays in Thorn’s overall success.
At Thorn, we understand the value of developing a team with different perspectives, educational backgrounds, and life experiences. We prioritize diversity within our team and encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply. Your skills are needed here.
What We’re Looking For:
The Communications Director will join a passionate, dynamic, innovative, and ambitious External Affairs team committed to doing whatever it takes to eliminate child sexual abuse. The right candidate is a team-oriented self-starter who works best when they can roll up their sleeves and dive in. They are always hungry to learn more, seamlessly balance creativity and strategy, and are highly collaborative. They must be comfortable with technology and media and understand the unique challenges and opportunities of mission-driven work, as they will partner closely with the broader External Affairs team on defining key messaging and landing the right press that will make Thorn a household name.
- An unwavering commitment to putting the children we serve at the center of everything you do.
- 10+ years of media relations expertise with the ability to quickly learn new issues and industries.
- Proven solid relationships with major press outlets, including print, digital, and broadcast media.
- Ability to communicate complex subjects in a simple, accessible, compelling manner.
- Impeccable writing, editing, presentation, and oral communication skills.
- Experience working cross-functionally in a product/service-driven organization where communication results are directly tied to business metrics.
- Experience managing agencies and creatively resourcing needs to achieve business goals on a budget.
- Experience successfully planning and executing communications plans at the product and brand levels.
- Tech sector experience, with government affairs experience/knowledge a plus.
- Experience working in start-up, early, and high-growth businesses.
- Calm, resourceful, critical thinker who thrives at problem-solving on a nimble, fast-paced team.
- Transparency and integrity in all actions, demonstration of good judgment and keen instincts, strong team player.
- A positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.
- Fully covered health care for you and your family
- Flexible work schedules
- Monthly individual and team wellness sessions
- Flexible vacation policy, standard holidays, and three weeks off as a company, one for Thanksgiving, two between Christmas and the first week of the new year.
- Matched 401[k]
- Annual professional development budget for continued education
- Budget for a home office setup or coworking membership
- Monthly home internet and cell phone bill reimbursement
- New Macbook Pros for everyone
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Apply here: https://grnh.se/c2903b842us
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert