Chief Executive Officer
Axis Talent Partners
Position Type: Full-Time
Primary domain: Education
City: New York
Postal code: 11101
State: New York
Country: United States
To use Outward Bound’s educational approach to effect positive and lasting change in the lives of New York City’s young people and their public schools.
About the Organization:
For over thirty years, NYC Outward Bound Schools has provided transformative educational experiences in communities that have been historically marginalized. We operate a network of schools in partnership with the NYC Department of Education and bring our most effective and replicable practices to a growing number of public schools outside of our network as well. Our uniquely powerful program combines the Outward Bound approach with principles of EL (Expeditionary Learning), joining together demanding, engaging learning with an emphasis on community and character.
Serving nearly 200,000 students since our inception, we are redefining what educational excellence looks like in New York City public schools. Thanks to our robust and personalized professional development and coaching model, our transformative field programming, our focus on community and character building, and our understanding and support of students as individuals to unlock potential, our results are strong. Our overall graduation rates regularly surpass the city average by 10+ percentage points and and we have achieved particularly impressive results among underserved subgroups. This past year, our Black and Latinx students graduated at rates that were 12 and 14 points higher than their peers citywide, respectively, and our students with disabilities graduated at a rate 27 points higher than their counterparts. Each year nearly all of our graduates are accepted to college.
About the Opportunity:
As NYC Outward Bound Schools enters its next chapter of evolution, we are poised to hone our approach and deepen our impact. Building on our strong foundation, the talents of our staff and student community and our emergent data and evaluation work, the next Chief Executive Officer will help refine and expand our strategic vision, positioning us to have a broader and deeper impact on NYC’s young people, their public schools, and the city’s public school system.
The CEO will bring an understanding of the education ecosystem, a passion for and connection to students from our community and the leadership skills to help us refine, strengthen, and broaden our value proposition; lead us in answering questions of growth, model and sustainability and in further articulating our vision of what it means to be an anti-racist organization.
Areas of Leadership:
- Strategic Leadership:
- Collaborate with a variety of stakeholders to refine our strategic vision and motivate others to bring it to life; deepen the clarity of our mission and value proposition
- Understand our impact, value-add and what we do best to support and expand upon those best practices
- Navigate complex organizational growth considerations, examining model/structure, scale, and impact
- Ensure the vision and goals for the organization’s anti-racism work have structures and systems that keep us accountable to our mission to provide transformative educational experiences to young people from historically marginalized communities
- People and Team Leadership:
- Gain the confidence and trust of our community by building relationships with all of our internal stakeholders
- Optimize the leadership team; support, develop and empower leaders
- Partner with the Chief People Officer in strategies to attract, develop and retain leaders of color
- Advancement & Partnerships:
- Energize philanthropic community with new vision for our next chapter of impact; competitively position NYC Outward Bound Schools for new revenue opportunities
- Build new relationships and partnerships and continue managing relationships with all partners and stakeholders; deftly influence, manage and expand the relationship with the NYC Department of Education
- Partner with the Chief Advancement Officer and development team to raise multi-million dollar operating budget funds, including corporate, foundation, and individual philanthropy and earned revenue
- Optimize, leverage, activate and partner with the Board
- Passion for our mission; solid understanding of the education ecosystem and student communities served by NYC Outward Bound Schools
- Track record and skills in effectively building and managing relationships and partnerships; skilled in navigating complex political systems and bureaucracies and leveraging networks to raise an organization’s visibility
- Practiced in equity centered leadership and advocacy; understanding of historical inequities
- Track record raising revenue to support a mission; understanding of how to position an organization to the education philanthropic community
- Exceptional leadership skills with an ability to optimize teams and develop and empower leaders
- Demonstrated business acumen with experience grappling with questions of organizational growth, scale, model and impact
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
This search is being managed by Axis Talent Partners, a boutique executive search and talent strategy firm which partners with educational and social justice-focused organizations. Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter detailing their interest in our mission and qualifications for the position to: https://axistalentpartners.applytojob.com/apply/jPhdn7ph7i/Chief-Executive-Officer-NYC-Outward-Bound-Schools?source=Bridgestar.
Posted By: Axis Talent Partners
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert