Director of Operations
Position Type: Full-Time
Function: General Management
Primary domain: Education
Postal code: 02110
Country: United States
At TransformEd, we believe that every young person deserves to be supported in the development of their whole self, yet, due to systemic oppression, students from historically marginalized populations often do not have the access they deserve to rich, positive learning environments that foster their development. We believe that the education system is ripe for transformation, to better serve the needs of students, families, and communities. We focus on the school system as the unit of change, partnering directly with school districts in order to support educators and leaders in changing policies and practices to foster whole child development.
Transforming Education (TransformEd) is seeking a Director of Operations who will serve as the primary lead to manage and oversee the daily operations of the organization - from grant writing, to finances, to workplace culture and more. The Director of Operations will also collaborate with the Executive Director and colleagues to build and grow the organization’s communications, from developing a communications strategy to increase the visibility of TransformEd’s work to overseeing bi-weekly newsletters.
The ideal candidate for this position will be someone who is an exceptional communicator - both in writing and editing abilities and in their verbal communication with colleagues and partners. This person will be someone who is excited to use their project management skills to collaborate with others to build and sustain the organization. This person is committed to equity and antiracism in the workplace and understands how to translate those commitments into internal systems and practices. Not only are they a strategic and organized thinker and planner, but they’re also creative and thrive in fast paced environments where needs may change quickly.
TransformEd is committed to building the diversity of our team and creating and maintaining a positive, inclusive workplace culture where all can thrive. We are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who represent the diverse backgrounds and experiences of the students and educators in the districts we serve.
This person will not only be skilled in the communications and grant writing aspects of the work, but also the day to day operations and finances of the organization - including but not limited to budget planning and human resource responsibilities. The following encompasses major areas of work that the Director of Operations will lead:
Communications & Grant Writing: (~30%)
- Write and edit grant proposals in collaboration with key stakeholders
- Develop a communications and marketing strategy to increase the visibility of TransformEd’s work
- Oversee our bi-weekly newsletter, blog, website, and social media efforts
- Collaborate with colleagues to develop and maintain systems that enable easy access to organizational resources and other collateral
Operations & Finance: (~45%)
- Manage and oversee finances and budget, including but not limited to:
- accounts payable, accounts receivable, and cash flow forecasting
- annual organizational, departmental, and project budgets
- annual audit and tax filings
- Track financial aspects of all contracts, grants, and proposals
- Track & communicate progress towards organizational key performance indicators (KPIs) related to finance, operations, and organizational culture
- Serve as liaison to professional employer organization (PEO) and hold internal human resources responsibilities (including payroll, hiring, and related processes)
- Manage all operational functions and related vendors (including tech support, legal counsel, and accountant/bookkeeper)
- Support other operational needs of fully remote team
- Continuously improve business policies and accounting practices
Organizational Culture: (~25%)
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and Chief Program Officer to design and implement organizational policies with an antiracist, equitable, and inclusive lens
- Design and roll out a standardized approach to hiring, supervision, and performance management
- Model our core values to support the development and maintenance of a positive organizational culture, including planning and executing team retreats
- Commitment to TransformEd’s work on antiracist whole child development
- Exceptional writing, editing, proofreading, and verbal communication skills
- Strong relationship building skills, with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to manage multiple initiatives, make decisions, and anticipate future needs in a fast-paced environment
- Understanding of equity and antiracist practices and how they can manifest in internal systems and organizational culture
- Demonstrated experience in nonprofit financial management, accounting, and auditing (e.g., Quickbooks, Salesforce)
- Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with -colleagues and Board members who do not have finance backgrounds
- Creative thinker and problem solver who can identify trends and new possibilities
- Self-starter who is able to work independently and also enjoys collaborating with colleagues to create systems and improve processes
All team members at Transforming Education are expected to demonstrate the following competencies in their work, regardless of department, team, level, or functional area.
- Collaboration: Approach work with humility, candor, and integrity. Seek out and value input and feedback from others.
- Empathy: Consider others’ perspectives in making decisions or taking actions.
- Equity: Develop an ever-deepening understanding of and act on authentic concern for issues of equity, inclusion, and racial justice, particularly as they apply to students and the U.S. education system. Demonstrate self-awareness, social awareness, and cultural humility in all internal and external interactions.
- Growth Mindset: View challenges as opportunities and mistakes as chances to learn.
- Project Management: Conduct work in a way that is planful, thoughtful, and intentional. Effectively manage time and resources to successful project completion.
- Communication: Communicate clearly and honestly with colleagues and clients in a way that considers contextual and cultural nuance.
- Adaptability: Nimbly shift focus across tasks, projects, and communication modes and maintain forward momentum in the face of setbacks.
- Evidence: Use high-quality, evidence-based resources. Uplift best practices and curate content from a variety of experts, including researchers and practitioners.
This is a full-time role reporting to the Executive Director. Location is flexible, as Transforming Education has moved to a fully remote workforce model as of January 2021. Salary is $90,000.
Our lean team enjoys people-first benefits including unlimited paid time off, paid parental leave, flexible working hours, 401(k) with employer match, and generous medical and dental/vision benefits (company subsidized at 90% and 100%, respectively).
$75k - 90k
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please apply at this link: https://mesosolutions.recruitee.com/o/director-of-operations-transforming-education
Posted By: Meso Solutions
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert