Breakthrough Silicon Valley
Position Type: Full-Time
Primary domain: Youth Development
City: San Jose
Postal code: 95126
Country: United States
$1M - $3M
Breakthrough Silicon Valley prepares motivated students with limited educational opportunities for success in rigorous college-preparatory high school programs and entry into four-year colleges.
Breakthrough Silicon Valley also prepares outstanding high school and college students to enter careers in education.
Breakthrough Silicon Valley launches talented but underserved middle school students on the path to college, while at the same time inspiring high school and college students to become educators. While ambitious in our goals, BTSV works: 97% of BTSV graduates are accepted into four-year colleges (through the class of 2019) and 87% of BTSV Teaching Fellows (2017-19) are inspired to pursue a career in education as a result of their summer experience.
Breakthrough Silicon Valley’s tuition-free program provides year-round out of school time academic support, advising, and advocacy for a diverse group of talented students, most of whom come from under-resourced communities and are first in their family to go to college. Through our students-teaching-students model, Breakthrough also provides a consummate professional development experience in education by providing talented high school and college students the opportunity to design and teach classes under the direction of seasoned education professionals.
Located in San Jose, California, Breakthrough Silicon Valley is an affiliate of The Breakthrough Collaborative, a leading national service organization that acts as the national voice for 24 Breakthrough sites across the country.
The Operations Manager plays a critical role in developing the people at Breakthrough, as well as creating and codifying processes and systems for Breakthrough Silicon Valley’s continued success and growth. This individual will engage in both high-level, strategic thinking and day-to-day operations of the non-profit, as well as executing on key people-related programs to grow and retain our staff. This is a role for an agile problem-solver who is highly organized, collaborative, attentive to detail, and process-oriented. This individual loves creating checklists, managing projects, identifying promising new solutions to solve problems, and uncovering ways to maximize the time and potential of our small, yet mighty team. Open communication and strong leadership are paramount, alongside an ambitious attitude and desire to drive continuous improvement within yourself and the Breakthrough Silicon Valley team.
Oversees and manages all recruitment strategies and efforts for Breakthrough, including both full-time and intern positions. Develop interviewing/ hiring/ standards that are efficient, deliver positive candidate experiences, and yield quality hires.
Maintain and ensure all HR documents and requirements are fulfilled for volunteers, interns, and full-time staff members throughout the year.
Support our team; manage lifecycle for all employees. Continually improve the onboarding process to ensure new hires have the knowledge and tools to be successful.
Measure the success of people processes; create and maintain KPI and operational metrics for recruiting efficacy, employee satisfaction and retention, etc.
Finance and Operations
Develop and/or maintain all operational systems, including annual operations calendar, document management, and serving as project manager for ongoing projects related to Operations and Finance.
Manage roll-out of new operational processes and projects, seek opportunities to leverage technology to gain efficiencies.
Serve as administrator for all platforms, including Dropbox for Business, Salesforce, and Google Applications
Drive expense budget creation and track budget actuals to present forecasting to ED and Board.
Process invoices for outside vendors and employees. Research and target cost-efficient vendor relationships
Support Breakthrough program team throughout the year with logistical support related to special events throughout the year (venue reservations, A/V and catering, supplies, etc.)
Play a significant role in the success of the summer program sites: coordinating move-in, site setup, supply orders, securing transportation, managing the food program, and on-the ground troubleshooting.
Support Breakthrough Leadership Team in developing and maintaining key partnerships, including MOUs, etc.
General Office and Administration
Oversee two school-based office facilities; ensure look-and-feel meets our standards.
First line of support for IT challenges including but not limited to hardware and software, telephone system(s) accounts, and printers. Work with vendors and partners to address issues that are not easily resolved
Manage inventory by anticipating upcoming projects, program activities and mailings, and ordering the necessary supplies in a timely manner
Maintain relationship with district and school-based staff for the purpose of supporting office and program facilities.
Manage a year-long Operations Intern.
Support Breakthrough Silicon Valley leadership team with special projects on as-needed basis
When needed, support Executive Director in scheduling meetings with internal and external stakeholders, such as the Board of Directors and other partners.
Partner with Breakthrough’s Leadership Team to set and execute people strategy and initiatives that help maintain a high performing, motivated, and impactful team.
Develop our team; identify opportunities to create, implement, and standardize manager and employee coaching and training to build the next generation of leaders. Work with managers in growing and developing their teams.
Work with the executive to devise a compensation strategy and oversee a yearly compensation review.
Manage and enhance our systems that manage people-related data to aid in better decision making and compliance.
Strengthen our culture; work with the management team to develop and cultivate Breakthrough’s culture.
- Ideal candidates will bring to the position a variety of attributes, knowledge and skills:
- Commitment to Breakthrough Silicon Valley’s mission and goals as well as a passion for educational equity
- Excellent ability to succeed in fast-paced environment. Demonstrated ability to prioritize and execute multiple time-sensitive priorities with precision and integrity
- Collaborative team-player who brings a customer service orientation to Operations support
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and a tactful, diplomatic communication style
- Systems-minded; must create and manage scalable systems
- Creative, solutions-driven problem solving abilities. Capable of implementing ideas and monitoring success
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and always exhibit a high level of discretion.
- Ability to support program events on occasional evenings and weekend.
- Ability to pass FBI and DOJ background check.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- 3-4 years of relevant experience in operations and people development, working proficiency with common software platforms for business operations.
- Experience creating and tracking budgets.
- Experience with a youth development, first-generation college students, or within another educational organization is a plus
*Candidates with less program experience will be considered for a coordinator level role.
Compensation and Benefits
- This is a full-time, exempt position.
- Start date would be on or near May 17th, 2021
- Occasional evenings and weekends to support program events are required.
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience.
- Generous Health Benefits: Medical, dental, and vision health coverage and life insurance.
- Retirement Benefits: 401(k) plan with immediate company match.
- Generous paid time-off: 15 days plus 11 holidays and two "shut-down" weeks.
- Professional development fund for professional growth and learning opportunities.
Less than $60k
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
To apply, please submit an application via: https://app.trinethire.com/companies/1327-breakthrough-silicon-valley/jobs/36784-operations-manager. Incomplete applications without a cover letter and resume will not be considered. We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Breakthrough engages with individuals of all backgrounds and we are committed to embracing diversity within our organization, including developing a team who represents the communities we serve.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer Breakthrough is committed to providing employment opportunities to all individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Learn more at www.breakthroughsv.org.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert