Director, Adult Services
The New York Public Library
Position Type: Full-Time
Primary domain: Education
City: New York
Postal code: 10016
State: New York
Country: United States
The New York Public Library is a free provider of education and information for the people of New York and beyond. With 92 locations—including research and branch libraries—throughout the Bronx, Manhattan, and Staten Island, the Library offers free materials, computer access, classes, exhibitions, programming and more to everyone from toddlers to scholars, and has seen record numbers of attendance and circulation in recent years. The New York Public Library serves more than 18 million patrons who come through its doors annually and millions more around the globe who use its resources at www.nypl.org.
The New York Public Library is an essential learning institution to the children, teens, families and educators that it serves. With its extensive research and circulating collections, welcoming spaces, trusted library workers, and educators, NYPL is well positioned to offer both direct programming to patrons, rigorous professional development and supportive learning materials to educators that helps build reading engagement, raise literacy levels, enhance technology skills, and instill a love of learning.
The Library is seeking a visionary, strategic leader with a strong point of view about how best to integrate a diverse suite of learning and education programs for adults of all ages (18+) into a cohesive, culturally responsive approach, and with demonstrated experience leading innovative efforts in at least one of the core curricular areas (ESOL, Career Services, Continuing Education, Technology). The Director will have overall responsibility for ensuring that our programs and services align with the overall mission and vision of the Library, and meets the needs of our diverse communities.
Reporting to the Tisch Education Director, the Director, Adult Services manages a robust adult education and programming system, consisting of Adult Literacy, English as a Second Language, Technology Training, Career Services, Continuing Education, Programming, and Outreach to underserved populations.
- Oversee design and implementation of systemwide programs and services for adults (18+) with a primary focus on ESOL, Technology skills, Career development, and other adult learning and engagement opportunities (book discussions, civics, community conversations, etc).
- Provide leadership and vision for the strategic planning efforts for the development, expansion, synthesis and continuous improvement of all adult learning initiatives, programs, outreach and services offered by the Adult ServicesDepartment.
- Develop, monitor and enhance evaluation tools to measure, interpret, and analyze the outcomes of education, outreach initiatives and programs relative to the Library’s strategic goals.
- With peers, help set annual goals for education and learning efforts across NYPL, with specific insight on those efforts that benefit adults, especially the most vulnerable populations.
- Establish performance and programmatic expectations for NYPL staff who are responsible for maintaining a high standard of adult services for the library.
- Assist the Senior Director of Education and Programming in resource development to sustain and expand adult programming.
- Design and implement a more holistic synergy of adult services, starting with the Adult Center of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Library as a proof of concept.
- Collaborate with and maintain positive working relationships with other NYPL departments to identify, develop, market, and promote programs and services.
- Prioritize and realize team development to meet emerging needs across the library, and within the community, to better serve adult learning needs in district programming categories.
- Establish and manage internal and external partnerships with the potential to elevate NYPL’s profile and impact in serving adults of all ages across the city.
Required Education & Experience
- Master’s Degree in Library Science, Education, or other relevant field
- Strong knowledge / interest in working with Adult Services
- Demonstrated successful experience in a strategic planning role
- Demonstrated successful experience in large scale project management, preferably in the delivery of education services.
- Able to create community programs and actively seek out opportunities for outreach partnerships between branches, educational organizations, and other partnering community agencies
- Strong quantitative and qualitative data analysis skills, as well as experience conducting research
- Strong interpersonal and oral communication skills, able to lead and collaborate with staff at all levels of the organization.
- Excellent leadership, supervisory, planning, and organization skills.
- Creative, out of the box thinking for responsive community outreach
- Team building skills with a collaborative management style.
- Demonstrated experience securing grants, developing and managing large programmatic budgets.
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment, responsive to changing goals, priorities and needs.
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse populations and community organizations.
- Graduate degree and a minimum of 5 years experience working in or serving a public, adult education or academic library or school setting
All team members are expected and encouraged to embody the NYPL Core Values:
- Be Helpful to patrons and colleagues
- Be Resourceful in solving problems
- Be Curious in all aspects of your work
- Office Environment & Branch Library
- Limited physical effort is required
- Mon-Fri 9-5; some nights/weekends as needed
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please click here to apply on our website.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert