● 5+ years of senior level professional experience
● Proven track record of success and executive leadership in an entrepreneurial, nonprofit environment achieving outcomes in the following areas:
o Fundraising across a diversity of revenue streams, ideally with experience in Greater Boston
o Building and managing a Board
o Engaging and fostering mutually beneficial strategic relationships
o Developing and executing an organizational strategy to expand programming while maintaining quality
o Building and leading a high performing team and a healthy organizational culture
● Delights in cultivating and stewarding donors and has successfully solicited major donors at the 5+-figure level
● Working knowledge of current educational policies and practices; experience working in an educational, youth-based organization preferred
● Enjoys the opportunity to work and collaborate in a national, multi-site organization
● Exceptional written and verbal communication and relationship building skills, with a natural ability to interact comfortably with and understand the interests of a variety of constituents and inspire enthusiasm for the organizational mission
● Comfort with regular regional travel; ability to periodically travel to BUILD Headquarters in the San Francisco Bay Area or other regional locations [BUILD staff are currently working remote during the COVID-19 pandemic]
● Bachelor’s degree required or transferable life experience
Successful candidates will demonstrate BUILD’s Core Values and competencies through a combination of previous education/work experiences:
BUILD’s Core Values:
● Keep Students at the Center - As BUILDers, we hold an unwavering passionate commitment and belief in the power and potential of youth. Our organization exists to serve students. We seize each opportunity to contribute to the foundation of knowledge, skills, and networks from which students can build extraordinary lives. Our operating principles and decisions focus on what is in the best interest of our students.
● Bring the Spark - As BUILDers, we excel in the entrepreneurial Spark Skills that we teach our students - Communication, Collaboration, Problem Solving, Innovation, Grit and Self-Management. We communicate through transparent and honest dialogue. We cherish teamwork, tenacity, and thinking outside the box. We demonstrate a relentless pursuit of excellence and approach work with a positive can do attitude. When we bring the spark we achieve great things together, and we model the way for our students.
● Bridge Communities - As BUILDers, we develop and foster relationships in service of creating access and opportunities for our students, staff, and stakeholders. We value all who come to the table as partners to maximize our collective impact. By connecting the communities in which we work, we build empathy, equity, and social capital.
● Promote Diversity and Social Action - As BUILDers, we understand that Diversity, Equity and Inclusion matters, but what matters even more is Action. We strive to create equity of voice, access, influence and power across lines of difference – both in and beyond BUILD, specifically for groups that have been historically denied social and economic justice. If we are not part of the solution, then we are part of the problem. We welcome, celebrate, and embrace the unique expressions and contributions of us all – our backgrounds, race, ethnicity, gender, language, sexual orientation, and social class.
Successful candidates will demonstrate the following competencies through a combination of previous education/work experiences:
● Leadership - Influence, inspire, guide, and direct a project or group of people towards a defined vision or goal.
● Managing Change—initiates, sponsors, implements and supports innovations and organizational changes aimed at improving capacity and effectiveness, while helping others to successfully manage and implement organizational change as well
● Managing and Motivating Staff Performance —utilizes management strategies appropriate for each employee’s work and learning style to ensure high performance of self and others through the setting of clear goals and expectations, tracking of progress, provision of feedback and prompt remediation of issues
● Strategic Thinking—takes into account and analyzes various points of view and data to form a perspective appropriate to execute a regional plan that is in line with national priorities, including the identifying or anticipating of problems and implementing of solutions
● Targeting the Message to Audience—ascertains the priorities of a particular individual or group and crafts persuasive written or verbal communication given those priorities
● Vision—communicates, inspires, guides and leads a project or group of people towards innovative yet achievable goals set forth in clear, strategic plans