Chief External Impact Officer
KIPP SoCal Public Schools
Position Type: Full-Time
Primary domain: Education
City: Los Angeles
Postal code: 90063
Country: United States
Who We Are
KIPP SoCal Public Schools is a network of 20 high-performing, college-preparatory public charter schools. We educate more than 9,000 students in grades pre-K through eighth in the greater Los Angeles area and San Diego. Additionally, we support approximately 5,100 alumni on their journey to and through high school and college.
What We Believe
KIPP SoCal believes that the purpose of education is for liberation. This means that we see, develop, and inspire the limitless potential in each and all of our KIPPsters.
What We Do
At KIPP SoCal we build trusting relationships that are strengthened by high expectations and collaboration alongside laughter and joy. We set ambitious goals and hold each other accountable for students achieving their greatest potential. We work together with each other and in partnership with families and communities in the active pursuit of a more equitable world. We do the right thing, even when it’s not convenient or comfortable standing up and speaking out against anti-blackness, racism, oppression, and injustice. We persevere through obstacles and treat failure as an opportunity to learn and grow.
The Chief External Impact Officer (CXO) is a member of KIPP SoCal’s Senior Leadership Team and is an externally facing leader for KIPP SoCal Public Schools. The CXO reports to the CEO. The CXO, in collaboration with the CEO, is responsible for setting the vision and direction for all external efforts of the organization, in addition to leading the External Impact Team.
In conjunction with the CEO, the CXO will play a key role in advancing efforts for government relations & advocacy, fundraising, and marketing & communications.
Advocacy, Government Relations & Impact;
- Build relationships with major stakeholders and constituencies, including the media, community groups, elected officials, other governmental representatives, community leaders, and other key influencers
- In partnership with other members of the senior leadership team, the Board of Directors, the Director of Advocacy and Community Engagement, and additional key stakeholders, develop and execute the strategy for KIPP SoCal; including new community strategy, charter renewals, new charter petitions, charter material revisions, and permanent facilities
- Work with KIPP Foundation and external partners to develop and identify key policy areas that impact KIPP SoCal, its team, its students, alumni, and families including overseeing the assemblage, interpretation, and analysis of information.
Family & Community Engagement
- Create and oversee strategy, programs, and services aimed towards increased family and community engagement; and strengthen the partnership among families, community, and schools to improve student academic achievement, school success, and to serve as critical advocates and ambassadors for KIPP SoCal.
- Develop, monitor, and implement a strategy to proactively engage families through the identification and development of a training program for family leaders focused on the principles and practices of community organizing.
- Identify opportunities and develop ways to strategically build coalitions, while maximizing collaboration and coordination with community partners across the diverse communities of Southern California.
- In partnership with the Director of Development, develops annual goals, plans, and strategies to diversify and increase philanthropic support through a comprehensive multi-year development strategy including pipeline development moves management, and donor stewardship.
- Oversees the Director of Development and development team responsible for stewarding current individual donors, corporation and foundation relations, leading events and event planning, and supervising the production of grant reports, prospect reports, and other measures.
Marketing & Communications
- Oversee the Director of Marketing and Communications in the development and execution of the overall marketing and communications strategy plan, to elevate KIPP SoCal’s brand, values, and support student and teacher recruitment.
- Provide thought leadership and guidance to the CEO in cultivating a meaningful and productive media and external engagement strategy; assess and strategize responses to all incoming media requests, and communicate with relevant media as a spokesperson when appropriate.
- In overseeing the Director of Marketing and Communications, provide guidance over messaging, talking points, and strategy for all organizational communications, striving to build a stronger KIPP SoCal brand and ensure its integration throughout KIPP SoCal.
- Provide guidance for tracking metrics and data, to ensure alignment and effectiveness of overall marketing and communications efforts alongside overall KIPP SoCal’s goals.
Team Leadership and Management
- As a senior leader, engage in weekly SLT meetings and regular step backs in order to drive cross-functional leadership and cohesion across the network
- Directly manage a multi-person team of different title levels and provide exceptional coaching and development and modeling what it means to grow talent and establish leadership pipelines
- Recruits, mentors, and supports a diverse and exceptional team of professionals to achieve exceptional results.
- Diligently seeks opportunities for professional development, acting as a coach and sounding board, and serves as an organizational role model in cultivating a culture of high expectations and support.
- Thoughtfully considers the impact of decisions, and facilitates resolutions that protect the organization’s interests, and prioritizes student needs when conflict or disagreements arise.
- The ideal candidate will have at least 7 years of progressive responsibility in similar or related roles, and the following competencies and personal characteristics:
- As a member of the senior leadership team, the CXO will be a visionary and strategic leader, with the knowledge, foresight and clarity to inform decision-making around development, communications, community engagement, advocacy and marketing, in alignment with the overall goals of KIPP SoCal’s growth and impact. The CXO will be nimble in adjusting to shifting priorities and able to balance multiple tasks efficiently and effectively. This leader will anticipate, analyze and interpret complex problems, achieving sustainable, creative solutions, with the flexibility and confidence to participate fully in important debates.
- With a commitment to constant learning and curiosity, the CXO will utilize data to inform best practices and decision-making, and have a sophisticated ability to work with complex information to provide feedback, gain insight and develop solutions and tools. This leader will flourish in a mission-oriented, data- and process-driven environment and be energized by the prospect of developing and implementing new strategies and best practices.
- A persuasive, confident member of the senior leadership team, the CXO will be an engaged, active listener, able to communicate effectively with a broad group of stakeholders and outlets – including KIPP SoCal students and families, team members, the Board and external outlets. The CXO will demonstrate honesty, fairness, humor, a willingness to listen, and a keen mind, and will operate with humility and optimism. This individual will be an advocate for and mentor to team members and peer leadership, creating and identifying opportunities for growth and development.
- A natural consensus-builder, the CXO will be comfortable with ambiguity and have the persistence to drive process forward through collaboration and dedication.
- The CXO should be well versed in crisis management, including the quick assimilation of large volumes of complex material and speedy development and execution of plans in collaboration with others.
- Other great benefits (Flexible spending account, EAP, etc.)
- Generous time off program includes 22 holidays, sick leave and vacation
- Voluntary Benefits (Pet Insurance, Supplemental Life, Accident, Short Term Disability, etc.)
- 401(k) plan with up to 6% match by KIPP SoCal
- Employer-paid KIPP SoCal life insurance
- 100% of healthcare premium costs covered by employer, dependents added at 50% of the cost
- Competitive compensation package inclusive of a generous benefits package
$140k - 155k
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please apply using this link.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert