Vice President of Marketing and Communications
Position Type: Full-Time
Primary domain: Human Services
City: New York
Postal code: 10011
State: New York
Country: United States
Empowering LGBT people, building strong community.
New York City’s Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Community Center empowers people to lead healthy, successful lives. The Center celebrates our diversity and advocates for justice and opportunity.
About the Opportunity:
The incoming Vice President (VP) will lead our communications department’s continuing evolution, as we strive to not only reach ever wider and more inclusive audiences, but also to engage and activate them. As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, the VP will collaborate with other members of the team to integrate organizational goals into creative communications strategies. Inheriting a “small but mighty” communications team, the VP will bring an orientation toward growth and development of these high potential leaders, moving the team to ensure all communications from The Center reflect the colorful plurality of voices that make up its constituency.
Responsible for all aspects of The Center’s strategic marketing and communication efforts, which aim to connect LGBTQ people to the life-saving and life enriching programs and services of the Center, the VP will create, lead, and actively implement and project manage a communications and marketing plan containing measurable goals and objectives, including oversight and amplification of The Center’s brand and key messages across all communications channels, including our website, social media sites, press outlets, video creation, emails, development campaigns, special events, and program outreach.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Communications Strategy and Execution:
- Create, lead, and implement a marketing and communications plan that is intentionally inclusive and far-reaching, which includes activation and engagement targets relevant to The Center’s goals, and contains measurable goals and objectives based on a comprehensive analysis of Center offerings, resources, financials, internal and external stakeholders.
- Oversee and ultimately approve all marketing and communications outputs including digital media, direct mail, onsite communications, and advertising.
- Plan and execute press outreach and campaigns including releases, strategic media placement and press conferences as needed.
- Manage all media relations to positive effect.
- Lead and execute all crisis communications, as they arise.
- Develop, coordinate, and communicate with a communications advisory board, composed of community members and communications experts.
- Obtain input from members of The Center’s constituency to ensure all types of campaigns and outreach reflect and/or incorporate the community's diverse voices, identities, and experiences.
Team Leadership & Collaboration:
- Provide leadership, training, and support for the department, including directly managing and developing the communications team, ensuring goals are met, while the team remains nimble and responsive to competing priorities.
- In collaboration with other departments and the senior leadership team, increase Center-produced event visibility, strengthen attendance and participation in pre-identified programs and services, and increase Center membership program through targeted outreach.
- Create a regular schedule to coordinate with and assist relevant internal departments on marketing-related matters to create necessary outputs and maximize results.
- Apply strong decision-making, innovative and creative-thinking, and problem-solving skills to successfully promote The Center’s mission, services, programs, and events.
Required Experience, Knowledge and Skills:
- Mission & Values Alignment: Demonstrates passion for, close involvement/experience with, and understanding of the LGBTQ Community’s issues and needs, including centering the voices of those who have been historically oppressed, and a contemporary analysis of structural racism and bias.
- Communications Expertise: Expertise in the full spectrum of communications strategies and tactics, particularly digital engagement and activation in the social impact sector; history of applying creative, novel, or even unconventional solutions and ideas to communications campaigns; impeccable, flexible writer and editor who adapts to reach a wide variety of audiences; deep understanding of how to leverage communications as a vehicle for social impact and movement building.
- Activation & Engagement Experience: Working knowledge of, and experience with, all kinds of audience activation, including political advocacy or organizing, and how to leverage communications strategies to do more than just reach and engage but also to inspire and activate.
- Team Leadership: Proven history of leading, inspiring, and developing cohesive and high functioning teams with diverse identities to effectively deliver outcomes while centering an organization’s mission; track record of effective collaboration with executive leaders; experience setting and driving strategy at the organization level; ability to manage up, down, and across an organization effectively, without formal authority.
- Collaboration & Relationship Building: Demonstrated ability to cultivate, grow, and manage positive, mutually beneficial relationships at all levels of an organization; outstanding interpersonal and relationship management skills, including the ability to identify and work through challenges, underscored by strong judgment and emotional intelligence; proven collaborator, able to work with and through senior leadership teams, as well as across functions.
- Project Management: Outstanding project management skills, with a history of completing projects on time and on budget; ability to thoughtfully prioritize, delegate, and communicate project goals, milestones, and outcomes.
$120k - 140k
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
This search is being managed by Axis Talent Partners, a boutique executive search and talent strategy firm which partners with social justice-focused organizations. Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter detailing their interest in our mission and qualifications for the position to: https://axistalentpartners.applytojob.com/apply/SoZOsNLsC7/Vice-President-Of-Communications-The-Center?source=Bridgestar
Posted By: Axis Talent partners
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert