Core to Bridgespan’s theory of change is the desire to work towards a society characterized by equality of opportunity and justice around the world. Through our work, we confront structural discrimination and inequity, and we are particularly committed to engaging more deeply on issues of racial equity in the United States. We believe Bridgespan can increase its impact by becoming an organization at which all staff and management understand the role of race and racism and how they intersect with our work, and feel equipped to apply this understanding to our engagements and organizational culture.
The Racial Equity Working Group (REWG) supports our organization’s culture by promoting a racial equity mindset within Bridgespan, both internally and in our work with others. The REWG supports all staff on the journey of expanding their knowledge and improving our ability to discuss issues of race and racism.
- Builds awareness of the ways that race and racial equity play out in key areas of our work through brown bags, guest speakers, and other opportunities
- Builds a community of practice among staff to study, analyze, and discuss issues of race and racism in a safe and productive environment
- Provides role models who demonstrate how to have productive conversations and build conscious community around issues of race and equity
- Keeps a pulse on potential opportunities or barriers to developing a racial equity mindset in each office
- Collaborates with leadership to define Bridgespan’s core beliefs surrounding racial equity
- Supports recruiting and retention of individuals who can contribute to our community of practice
- Provides space for staff to grieve and process relevant current events
For more information, please contact our Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, Raël Nelson James, at [email protected].