Small organization—budget less than $3 million
In this model, the Director of Finance and Administration wears multiple hats. The budget can’t support specialized staff, so this position is responsible for a variety of areas far removed from the finance and administrative functions. These include human resources, information technology, legal, and facilities—and even building relationships with program recipients.
Feel free to use and modify this sample job description to help you create one for your organization.
Director of Finance and Administration
Founded in 1990, XYZ Nonprofit’s mission is…
We do this by…
For more information, please visit www.XYZnonprofit.org.
The Director of Finance and Administration will be a strategic thought-partner, and report to the executive director (ED). The successful candidate will be a hands-on and participative manager and will lead and develop an internal team to support the following areas: finance, business planning and budgeting, human resources, administration, and IT.
The Director of Finance and Administration will play a critical role in partnering with the senior leadership team in strategic decision making and operations as XYZ Nonprofit continues to enhance its quality programming and build capacity. This is a tremendous opportunity for a finance and operations leader to maximize and strengthen the internal capacity of a well-respected, high-impact organization.
- Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; collate financial reporting materials for all donor segments, and oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the finance committee of the board of directors; assess any changes necessary.
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the ED; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes; and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Implement a robust contracts management and financial management/ reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
- Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the board of directors.
Human Resources, Technology and Administration
- Further develop XYZ Nonprofit’s human resources and administration, enhancing professional development, compensation and benefits, performance evaluation, training, and recruiting.
- Ensure that recruiting processes are consistent and streamlined.
- Establish and manage a comprehensive training program to educate employees regarding staff tools, policies, and procedures.
- Work closely and transparently with all external partners including third-party vendors and consultants.
- Oversee administrative functions as well as facilities to ensure efficient and consistent operations as the organization scales.
- Minimum of a BA, ideally with an MBA/CPA or related degree
- At least seven to 10 years of overall professional experience; ideally six-plus years of broad financial and operations management experience
- The ideal candidate has experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination for either a division or significant program area, and has preferably overseen a human resources function previously
- Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with -- programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds
- A track record in grants management
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; knowledge of accounting and reporting software
- Commitment to training programs that maximize individual and organization goals across the organization including best practices in human resources activities
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of XYZ Nonprofit
Each sample job description is intended to be a jumping off point, and likely will need to be tailored to meet the particular needs of your organization. Feel free to use and tailor these descriptions for your hiring needs.