For this multi-site and multi-program organization, the director of programs has an externally facing role managing relationships in the community. There also is a heavy emphasis on team management and development, and establishing standards of performance across all programs.
Feel free to use and modify this sample job description to help you create one for your organization.
Sample Position Description
Reporting to the Executive Director (ED), the Director of Programs will be responsible for the operational success of XYZ Nonprofit ensuring seamless team management and development, program delivery, and quality control and evaluation. In this newly established role, the Director of Programs will manage a growing staff of X. The Director of Programs will be the key external face of XYZ Nonprofit in the community.
- Cultivate existing relationships with vendors with the goal of ensuring sufficient space and resources, and access to services
- Develop and implement strategies that will maximize the synergies among program areas
Team Management and Development:
- Develop and implement a system to evaluate the skill, experience, and professional development needs of all staff
- Implement a professional development program to address employee experience and skill gaps
- Work with staff to develop objective performance measurements across all sites, to ensure consistent, high-quality evaluation and goal setting for all employees
- Instill a sense of accountability among team members by modeling tight oversight of individual and organization performance standards
- Recruit, hire, and oversee training and orientation of all staff members
Program Operational Management:
- Using the existing balanced score card and program dashboard; establish consistent, objective program performance standards of accountability
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual with team management experience to grow and further develop a proven program. The successful candidate will lead programs, partner with the ED and work collaboratively with a high-performance management team.
Specific requirements include:
- Minimum of a BA, MA preferred
- At least 10 years of experience with three of those in a team management role
- Demonstrated success developing and evaluating program models, and selecting and successfully operationalizing innovative programs
- Proficient in using technology as a management reporting tool and experience working with information technology staff to develop and implement program evaluation systems
- Strong project management skills managing complex, multifaceted projects resulting in measurable successes and program growth
- Experience having worked with a high-performance, collaborative, constructive peer group
- Strength in hiring, recruiting, managing, developing, coaching, and retaining individuals and teams, empowering them to elevate their levels of responsibility, span-of-control and performance
- Deep understanding of human resources, employee performance improvement plans, and corrective action policies
- Demonstrated results in managing through complex systems and proven experience negotiating win-win agreements
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with exceptional attention to details
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for XYZ Nonprofit's mission