The president in this established organization focuses on the core functions of the organization to enable it to achieve its long-term vision. Areas of focus include: strategy, finance, board management, fundraising, and program delivery.
Feel free to use and modify this sample job description to help you create one for your organization.
The President, a newly created position, will report into the Founder and work collaboratively with the Board of Directors in leading the transformation of XYZ Nonprofit from its current stage to a more mature organization capable of delivering on its long term vision. Specifically, she or he will ensure that XYZ Nonprofit's fiscal, operations, fundraising, marketing, human resource, technology, and programmatic strategies are effectively implemented across all segments of the organization.
Strategic vision and leadership
- Collaborate with the founder and the board to refine and implement the strategic plan while ensuring that the budget, staff, and priorities are aligned with XYZ Nonprofit's core mission.
- Provide inspirational leadership and direction to all executives, and ensure the continued development and management of a professional and efficient organization; establish effective decision-making processes that will enable XYZ Nonprofit to achieve its long- and short-term goals and objectives.
- Cultivate a strong and transparent working relationship with the Board and ensure open communication about the measurement of financial, programmatic, and impact performance against stated milestones and goals.
- In partnership with the Founder, help build a diverse and inclusive Board representative of the community that is highly engaged and willing to leverage and secure resources.
- Ensure that the flow of funds permits XYZ Nonprofit to make continuous progress towards the achievement of its mission and that those funds are allocated properly to reflect present needs and future potential.
- Formulate and execute comprehensive marketing, branding and development strategies that will ensure consistency throughout the organization and enhance revenue from major donors, foundations, government agencies, and corporations.
Strengthening infrastructure and operations
- Ensure the delivery of high-quality services while managing for current and future growth.
- Support and motivate the organization's staff.
- Facilitate cross-departmental collaboration and strengthen internal communications with staff throughout the organization; create and promote a positive, multicultural work environment that supports consistency throughout the organization's strategy, operational methods, and data collection needs.
- Oversee the financial status of the organization including developing long and short range financial plans, monitoring the budget and ensuring sound financial controls are in place; set financial priorities accurately to ensure the organization is operating in a manner that supports the needs of the program and staff.
- Rationalize the delivery of programs through new and existing offices and partnerships.
- Increase efficiencies and consistency throughout the organization by developing and implementing standardized programs, services, and program office marketing.
- Minimum of a BA, ideally with an MBA, MPA, or related advanced degree
- At least 15-20 years of overall professional experience
- Prior nonprofit experience ideal; management of a global or multisite organization preferred
- Significant board development, fundraising, marketing/branding and fiscal management experience a must
- A financially savvy and politically astute leader with the ability to set clear priorities, delegate, and guide investment in people and systems; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills, which support and enable sound decision making
- Excellent coalition building skills with an ability to communicate and work effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders; a persuasive negotiator able to achieve consensus amongst differing opinions
- Outstanding presentation and communication skills and the experience and proclivity to be an outgoing spokesperson, relationship builder, and fundraiser
- Strong commitment to the professional development of staff; successful track record of recruiting and retaining a diverse team