While the emphasis of this role is finance, it includes responsibilities for managing a breadth of staff functions and requires an individual who is both strategic and tactical.
Feel free to use and modify this sample job description to help you create one for your organization.
Sample Position Description
Reporting to the president and serving as an integral member of the senior management team, the Vice President of Finance and Operations (VP) will be responsible for the development of XYZ Nonprofit’s financial management strategy and contribute to the development of the organization’s strategic goals. In addition to the strategic components, the VP will be charged with developing and implementing more sophisticated policies and procedures both in the finance and general operational realms. This is an outstanding opportunity for a finance executive with operational experience and a proven track record of creative problem-solving and change management to join in a high-growth, mission-driven organization.
Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Advise the president and other key members of senior management on financial planning budgeting, cash flow, investment priorities, and policy matters.
- Serve as the management liaison to the board and audit committee; effectively communicate and present critical financial matters at select board of directors and committee meetings.
- Contribute to the development of XYZ Nonprofit’s strategic goals and objectives as well as the overall management of the organization.
- Maintain continuous lines of communication, keeping the president informed of all critical issues.
- Represent the organization externally, as necessary, particularly in banking and lease negotiations.
- Oversee, direct, and organize the work of the finance and operations teams.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Ensure staff members receive timely and appropriate training and development.
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance appraisals, and administer salary adjustments.
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach: assign accountabilities; set objectives; establish priorities; and monitor and evaluate results.
- Upgrade and implement an appropriate system of policies, internal controls, accounting standards, and procedures.
- Plan, coordinate, and execute the annual budget process.
- Ensure that XYZ Nonprofit is adhering to the strategic plan, delivering status reports to the board.
- Provide analytical support to XYZ Nonprofit’s internal management team including development of internal management reporting capabilities.
- Improve administrative and operational accounting services such as treasury management, 403-B plan, grants payment processing, payroll, accounts payable, and purchasing.
- Business or Accounting degree mandatory, a master’s in business administration is preferred
- CPA preferred
- Minimum 10 years experience in a senior management role ideally with both external audit and in-house financial management experience gained in a high-growth organization
- Experience either as an employee or board member of a nonprofit organization; must be familiar with nonprofit finance and accounting regulations
- Proven track record of success facilitating progressive organizational change and development within a growing organization
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills including negotiation and conflict< resolution skills
- Strong mentoring, coaching experience to a team with diverse levels of expertise
- Entrepreneurial team player who can multitask
- Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- Self reliant, good problem solver, results oriented
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical finance and administration initiatives.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively
- interface with senior management, XYZ Nonprofit’s board of directors, and staff
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker
- Passion for XYZ Nonprofit’s mission