This small organization also has multiple sites, but the vice president, regional programs and operations role is broader than the director of programs role described above. In addition to managing multiple program managers, this role encompasses human resources, evaluation, and knowledge management.
Feel free to use and modify this sample job description to help you create one for your organization.
Vice President of Regional Programs and Operations
Reporting to the Executive Director (ED), the Vice President of Regional Programs and Operations will play a critical role in helping XYZ Nonprofit achieve its vision to provide high quality programs locally, eventually extending the use of its model nationally. The Vice President of Regional Programs and Operations will be responsible for a variety of significant activities including internal operations, oversight of two regions, human resources, site expansion, and program evaluation services. She or he will be instrumental in ensuring consistent and effective internal processes and communications in order to strengthen XYZ Nonprofit's programs and position the organization for continued success.
Leadership of regional coordinators and expansion strategies
- Oversee the program operations and day-to-day leadership of XYZ Nonprofit's regional coordinators to provide them with management guidance, strategies for regional growth, and operational assistance.
- Assist in the hiring of new regional coordinators; conduct yearly performance evaluations of regional coordinators, and implement the appropriate professional development tools and training to maximize operational effectiveness and to ensure the achievement of employee goals and performance benchmarks.
- Coordinate and direct expansion strategies including hiring, training, and lead the new region identification process and site development start-up efforts; help build strategic partnerships in existing and new regions.
Strengthen internal operations and infrastructure
- Supervise all human resources policies and programs for XYZ Nonprofit including organizational planning and development, on-boarding, training, development, compensation and benefits, performance evaluation, and recruiting; provide clarity around roles, motivate senior managers, and facilitate effective team dynamics.
- Support the senior leadership team, regional coordinators, and staff to make consistent and progressive steps toward organizational and programmatic consistency and sustainability; effectively communicate work plans and priorities derived from the organization's strategic plan by partnering with senior leaders to follow through with coordinated accountabilities, objectives, and associated budgets.
- Enhance organizational excellence by establishing operational benchmarks, timelines, and resources needed to achieve strategic goals, proactively recommending and driving improvements as necessary; set standards for accountability and measurements of success.
- Oversee XYZ Nonprofit's evaluation activities including data collection systems, longitudinal evaluation, and all contracts and activities relating to program evaluation and measurement; communicate and prepare all data collection summary reports and evaluation updates for the ED, board of directors, and staff.
- Develop a knowledge management system that ensures maximum sharing of information and learning throughout the organization; create an environment whereby XYZ Nonprofit is known as a best-in-class learning organization.
- Bachelor's degree required, graduate degree preferred; at least 10 years of professional experience in a general management role, ideally in a rapidly evolving institution
- Highly organized and ability to wear multiple hats in an ambiguous, fast-moving environment; a driving force who manages toward clarity and solutions
- A successful track record in setting priorities, shaping processes, guiding investment in people and systems, and developing an infrastructure that creates a stronger and more efficient organization
- Thorough understanding of project management; able to work effectively under pressure to meet tight deadlines and goals
- A consummate team player with a flexible and creative approach
- Excellent communication and coalition building skills with an ability to balance, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders; high level of knowledge and understanding, especially as it relates to program replication, connecting programs to funding, creatively generating other resources, and building strategic partnerships
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to XYZ Nonprofit's mission