In this job description, the vice president of development both supports the executive director's fundraising activities and is a key fundraiser responsible for expanding and diversifying the organization's funder base. The position requires the ability to develop and implement a strategic development plan.
Feel free to use and modify this sample job description to help you create one for your organization.
Vice President, Development
Reporting to the Executive Director (ED), the Vice President (VP), Development serves as a key leadership team member and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting XYZ Nonprofit. In partnership with the ED, this position is responsible for all fundraising and development activities. The successful candidate will help forge new relationships to build XYZ Nonprofit's visibility, impact, and financial resources. The VP, Development also will design and implement a comprehensive plan for developing key external alliances by cultivating individual and philanthropic support.
The VP, Development will have primary responsibility for establishing and implementing the infrastructure needed to grow a $XM budget through the solicitation of major gifts, federal and state grants, special events, and corporate and foundation support.
She or he will expand and diversify XYZ Nonprofit's donor base/pipeline and work closely with other team members to secure funding for new initiatives. In addition, the VP will work closely with the board of directors and support board members as they take on a more active fundraising role.
It is expected that the amount raised by XYZ Nonprofit will increase in future years as the VP, Development systematically and effectively strengthens the organization's overall fundraising capacity.
- Support and partner with the ED and board members on all major fundraising initiatives
- Collaborate with the Chief Operating Officer (COO) to develop and implement XYZ Nonprofit's financial strategy
- Actively work with the ED and senior staff to develop and implement a comprehensive development strategy to include corporate, foundation, government grants, etc.
- Have primary responsibility for development and execution of all proposals; write and archive all proposals with a long-term relationship-management approach
- Oversee research funding sources and trends, with foresight, to help position XYZ Nonprofit ahead of major funding changes or trends
- Monitor all donor information; provide and present statistical analysis to board and senior leaders
- Develop and implement a stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with donors
- Monitor and report regularly on the progress of the development program
- Identify, develop, and mentor the development team
- 10-plus years of professional experience in a nonprofit organization; demonstrated success in a development function (managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources)
- Tangible experience of having expanded and cultivated existing donor relationships over time
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships
- Strong organizational skills
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives
- Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside XYZ Nonprofit
- Bachelor's degree required, Master's preferred
- High energy and passion for XYZ Nonprofit's mission is essential
- Ability to construct, articulate, and implement annual strategic development plan
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Customer focus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A professional and resourceful style; the ability to work independently and as a team player, to take initiative, and to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time