Member of the Board of Directors
XYZ Nonprofit’s mission is to…
For more information, please XYZ’s website at www.xyz.org.
The Board will support the work of XYZ and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by XYZ’s chief executive officer (CEO), the Board-CEO relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance and oversight
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the CEO as s/he develops and implements XYZ’s strategic plan
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by XYZ for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Approving XYZ’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the CEO
- Assisting the CEO and board chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
- Partnering with the CEO and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
- Representing XYZ to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring XYZ’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities XYZ serves
XYZ Board Members will consider XYZ a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. So that XYZ can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, XYZ expects to have 100 percent of Board Members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity.
XYZ’s Board Members will serve a three-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term. Board meetings will be held quarterly and committee meetings will be held in coordination with full board meetings.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about XYZ’s mission and who has a track record of board leadership. Selected Board Members will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board Members.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
- A commitment to and understanding of XYZ’s beneficiaries, preferably based on experience
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of XYZ’s beneficiaries
Service on XYZ’s Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to Board Members’ duties.