In this small and emerging organization, the director of development is responsible for building and executing the development plan, and implementing the information technology systems to support the function. S/he also is responsible for running special events.
Feel free to use and modify this sample job description to help you create one for your organization.
Sample Position Description
Reporting to and in partnership with the Executive Director (ED), the Development Director (Director) will spearhead development efforts as XYZ Nonprofit continues to grow. A new position in the organization, the Director will have the opportunity to build the development function.
- Develop and execute XYZ Nonprofit's annual fundraising plan
- Secure financial support from individuals, foundations and corporations
- Manage the implementation of Raiser's Edge and oversee staff responsible for data entry and gift processing
- Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with major donors
- Creating and executing a strategy for a large sustained base of annual individual donors
- Overseeing organization of special events
- Developing and tracking proposals and reports for all foundation and corporate fundraising
- BA (required), MA (a plus)
- 5-plus years experience in development
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, and communication skills
- Knowledge of Raiser's Edge